[1.1.80] Grid position initially incorrect with waterfill tiles

Bugs that are actually features.
Barry9061
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[1.1.80] Grid position initially incorrect with waterfill tiles

Post by Barry9061 »

I've run into an issue that can arise when creating blueprints using mods such as Noxys Waterfill or Explosive Excavation that add waterfill-type tiles.

Reproduction:
1- Take a blueprint that uses a known grid position value, like the `blueprint.txt` attached (has an absolute position of (2, -20), and a size of 48x48).
2- Place it somewhere on water, or use the editor to replace the tiles around it with water.
3- Blueprint it again, tick the 'tiles' box, but deselect the waterfill/explosives tile.
4- Set the size and grid position to whatever the original blueprint had, and save the blueprint.
5- Notice that it's not snapping to the same place as the original blueprint.
6- Re-open the new blueprint, and see that the values for grid position have changed from what you set.
7- Re-set them to the correct values, and save again. It should snap correctly now.

I've attached a video showing this issue when using Explosive Excavation. This does not happen in plain vanilla with no waterfill-type mods, but I'm not sure if it's an engine issue or a mod-specific issue.
Attachments
blueprint.txt
Example blueprint to demonstrate
(1.29 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
factorio-snap-weirdness.mp4
Shows the issue with Explosive Excavation
(78.38 MiB) Downloaded 37 times

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.80] Grid position initially incorrect with waterfill tiles

Post by boskid »

Thanks for the report. I am considering this to be a Not a bug.

If the grid position values would be required to be relative to the top left corner of all visible entities then if visible entities would change the grid position values would have to be adjusted. In this example when you selected blueprintable tiles the top left corner was not where the top left corner of original blueprint was so blindly typing "2, -20" in the grid position resulted in a different position of the blueprint grid. At the point when blueprint was created the blueprint setup gui was clearly showing the blueprint grid to be offset to what you expected it to be.

Now i start to think that the "grid position" XY input should be basically removed from the blueprint setup gui to prevent leaking internal blueprint origins used by the blueprint setup logic. That would force you to reposition the blueprint grid manually by shifting it in the blueprint and removing a feature of allowing all-odd blueprint grid positions (sometimes used with rail blueprints if they are on odd grid)

Return to “Not a bug”