Mod Portal API - CORS error in Electron app

Enhance Your Overall Game-Play.
Mod-Database, Calculators, Cheatsheets, Multiplayer, Scripts, Libs and Other Useful Stuff.
IzaacJ
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Mod Portal API - CORS error in Electron app

Post by IzaacJ »

Hello.

I'm building an app using Electron+React to manage mods on my headless servers, however, when sending a request (using node-fetch) I'm getting a CORS error.

Is this a bug or is it intended? Seems to be a lot of tools out there using the API, and the same request works perfectly when made in the browser.
SysAdmin-to-be | Containerize everything! | Automate everything! | Optimize everything!

Sanqui
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Mod Portal API - CORS error in Electron app

Post by Sanqui »

As far as I'm concerned this is not a bug: we don't want random websites to be able to interact with these APIs from the browser. If you are developing a local application using Electron, I believe there are ways to override CORS.

I am open to arguments to convince me otherwise though :)
ovo

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

56jldt.jpg
56jldt.jpg (92.11 KiB) Viewed 573 times
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: ζ—₯本θͺž, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

IzaacJ
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by IzaacJ »

Sanqui wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:59 am
As far as I'm concerned this is not a bug: we don't want random websites to be able to interact with these APIs from the browser. If you are developing a local application using Electron, I believe there are ways to override CORS.

Good to know πŸ™‚ Pretty new to React and Electron so I’ll definitely look up on how to do that.

So, no arguments from me 😁
SysAdmin-to-be | Containerize everything! | Automate everything! | Optimize everything!

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

IzaacJ wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:31 pm
Sanqui wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:59 am

Good to know πŸ™‚ Pretty new to React and Electron so I’ll definitely look up on how to do that.

So, no arguments from me 😁
use Access-Control-Allow-Origin: *

another method would be to have a local PHP script that you call, which solely acts as a proxy to the remote API. then CORS is preserved.
My Mods - Fish Per Minute base size metric - Use your crashed spaceship as a belt balancer?
β€’ β€’ β€’
Base: Bob's @ 1 Million SPM
β€’ β€’ β€’
Linear search and overflows are indicative of sloppy coding practices.

Return to β€œTools”