Hello guys. I was just wiring too much in Factorio ^^, after doing my train delivery system and testing it under many circumstances i wanted to improve it in some ways. The problem is developing complex systems in Factorio directly has some inconveniences. So as I have some basic skills in python programming I came up (yes, i know) with the crazy idea of doing a simulator where you can test the circuits and debug your systems. So Then I started to work, reading, thinking etc. I came across really nice information. I was able to decode a blueprint string with the old format (I'm struggling with the new one still) and then i found a library for creating flowcharts (pyDrawing) that was old but looked good. Then I came here for the blueprint string code after asking DaveMc. I saw some things I didn't know about, I was not aware of this subforum, I should have checked before ^^.
Now that the intro is done, what do you think about the idea? This would be my first open source project so be patient with me but I was just watching if it was possible and playing with the idea. I think It won't be easy but it can be fun, I'd like to learn better programming so that's what I was doing this for originally. In the pyDrawing library there is an example editor program that I'm using as base. I changed the left toolbar and customized the created entities (just the text for now) and here you can see an screenshot:
Capture.JPG (253.7 KiB) Viewed 3902 times
So for now none of the behavior (that has been extended in 0.15) has been implemented. In fact now I was planning to change the connections since the library has some way of connecting entitites and keeping them connected but not enough control to implement green and red wire and signal transfer etc. The idea is to once drawn or imported, the circuit can be run tick by tick, getting the output in certain points. I don't know how far will I be able to go with my poor skills but it would be nice to have something flexible and easy to use. A configuration window for the entitites is needed and maybe also a new entity, called network or circuit to store and propagate the signals.
If you have comments, suggestions, if you want to help or even to lead this project, you are welcomed as long as I can bother you a bit xD. For now as I say alsoo one of may main concerns is not being able to decode the blueprints. I'm trying since the error says incorrect padding for the base64 encoding to pad it but doesn't work.
Hello all, after trying a bit I spent too much time learning stuff about GUI's and at some point I got a bit bored since it was not my main objective for this project. Also using a library that is not mantained or updated is not a good idea. I found some bugs on the library and i didn't finally liked how it all worked. Also I'm quite noob programmer as stated so I decided to star programming the simulator and just make like a command line old style program My plan is to ddevelop a bit the interface just by pure scripting and printing or with some tool like urwid or a command line suite.
For now I've tested it with simple circuits and there is a lot I have to test with special cases.
first one is a simple clock a constant combinator outputting 1 signal A and a decider looped that will output A<20
second one is sort of a special switch that stores negative values from a constant combinator but only one tick and untill you turn off the constant combinator the cell will be blocked. I added the upmost decider to make a backwards counter
20170529210608_1.jpg (558.09 KiB) Viewed 3644 times
20170529210549_1.jpg (592.96 KiB) Viewed 3644 times