Pixel art blueprints!

Enhance your gameplay with these tools. This category is also the right place for tools useful for modders.
Mod databases, calculators, cheatsheets, multiplayer, scripts, libs and other useful stuff that is not strictly in-game mods.
mlgarrett
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Pixel art blueprints!

Post by mlgarrett »

I really wanted to get a picture of my dog into my Factorio base, so I wrote a program to make me a blueprint. This is not the first app of its kind, but it's a fun toy and I want to share!

Piχtor.io
https://pixtor.io

To use Piχtorio, you upload an image, and choose which tiles you want to draw with. A scaling factor lets you tune the size of the resulting blueprint, and you can also choose and re-order the tiles to tune the aesthetics.

The app applies the κ-Means clustering algorithm to your image to reduce its colors to the number of tiles you have selected. You may need to tinker a little bit to get a good result. Images with little color variation get cleaner results if you select fewer tiles. Some pictures will work better than others. The preview is very rough; it is better to look at the result in-game.

You can put your dog into your base too!
Or your god!
Or Pikachu!
Or the moon!

The code is open-source. I have tested it a bit, but I expect there are still bugs. Also the server is kind of weak, and κ-Means is kind of expensive, so please be patient. Don't hesitate to contact me directly or via GitHub if you have errors; I want to fix them! Contributions are welcomed and encouraged.

I hope you enjoy this tool! Please send me screenshots of your creations! They will make my day.

- mlgarrett

Return to “Tools”