Requ. chests/PowerArmor should default to zero or one

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

DirkyJerky
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Requester chests should default to zero or one ☸

Post by DirkyJerky »

Made account just to reply:
This behavior is quite annoying many times over; It causes me stress and frustration whenever I wish to setup new automations (using Bob's mods, there is a lot), and frequently causes me to take mini rage quit breaks from the game, which is a good thing I guess because otherwise I would binge for so long...

Anyways I wiłl trade my soul for this to be fixed.
And IMO the best and easiest behaviour would be to give a slider in the item selection screen, keep the default of one stack there. People (like me) who wish to set it to one piece only can just grab the slider and throw it to the left all the way, quick, easy and no precision required.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

At first you can us a mod.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8207

Had the same feelings like you, hope it will be changed in 0.13.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Anson
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Anson »

DirkyJerky wrote:And IMO the best and easiest behaviour would be to give a slider in the item selection screen, keep the default of one stack there. People (like me) who wish to set it to one piece only can just grab the slider and throw it to the left all the way, quick, easy and no precision required.
i have underlined the important part in the quote since i first didn't read carefully enough and didn't see what was meant, thinking that we already have a slider that doesn't solve the problem. "just a slider" to do a change quickly is not the entire solution, since robots still would get the order to send that initial amount of items immediately as soon as the item is selected, and even after changing an amount later (setting it to 1 or even to 0), no orders are cancelled. although a slider in the item selection screen would slightly increase the complexity and size of that "sub-dialog", this might be just the kind of action/confirmation before the order to the robots is sent, just like a confirmation is needed after changing amounts for inserters and their network conditions.

btw: the setting of conditions needs some improvement too: currently, amounts can be edited first and then have to be confirmed (which i like a lot), but changing the operator toggles through three states (<, >, =) and that setting is immediately active without confirmation (or together with not yet edited numbers), causing wrong conditions to start unintentionally. that's no problem in most cases, but can trigger a chain of events or conditions which are not easily undone afterwards. as a temporary fix, I often clear the first item in that dialog to make it invalid, then edit operator and amount, then select the same first operand again.

currently, i tend to wish for a confirmation on every dialog that changes any amount or condition, and for all of them in a similar way, eg some buttons "ok" (accept and close dialog), "abort" (ignore changes and close dialog), and "apply" (accept changes and keep editing in the dialog).

if that would be too complicated or time consuming for doing lots of changes quickly (for some people), the same priciple might still be used by only having a button "quit/abort", and by causing an automatic "ok" when the dialog is closed, just delaying the order/condition until everything is set up.
instead of those three new buttons, the usual shortcuts could be used too: the key for closing windows (E) would accept the changes and start the robots working (or the condition to take effect), and the usual key for quit/abort tool/action (Q) would cancel the changes and close the dialog.

edit:
steinio wrote:At first you can us a mod.
in my last 0.12 game, i did that and it was an improvement above getting too many unwanted items.
but i would prefer a uniform solution for all kinds of such changes to amounts, and probably a solution that can't be done easily with a mod but has to be done in the game itself. and currently, I'm trying to get achievements with 0.13, thus am not allowed to use any mods (to get the "no requester chest" achievement, i won't have that problem anyway, although it still applies to the inventory requester slots and to the network conditions)
Last edited by Anson on Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Factorio 0.13 has an option (in Options --> Other) called "Force default logistic filter count to 1" that will do exactly what you would expect.

Moved to Implemented Suggestions.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Anson
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Anson »

daniel34 wrote:Factorio 0.13 has an option (in Options --> Other) called "Force default logistic filter count to 1" that will do exactly what you would expect.
thanks for the hint, and to the programmers for that really useful standard feature of 0.13, instead of having to use mods. :P
I just tried it with the character inventory and it is just as good as the mod i used in 0.12 :D

but the related problems still exist, eg editing conditions (see above), and also that there is no confirmation to submit changes.
a really catastrophic example :twisted: : i had requested 200 items in the inventory request dialog and wanted to reduce that to 150. thus i typed "del" with the right hand and "15" with the left hand. In an editor that would have worked no matter which keys were pressed first. but in factorio, i ended up with robots trying to deliver 15.2 k !!! :oops: :mrgreen:
similar effects happen quite often when using the slider and moving the mouse a few pixels too far, eg 800>900>1k>2k>1k. those two additional pixels for one moment mean getting double the desired amount, and 1k extra items in the inventory is much more annoying than 1k extra items in a big (almost empty) requester chest. :geek: I often wish that such changes would only activate after i close the window.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Requester chests/Personal RP should default to zero or o

Post by ssilk »

I see this similarly. The current requesting for personal roboport needs some tweaking to avoid such situations.
So I moved it back from implemented.

I changed also the topic title (so that you see, that it is more related to personal roboport only. But a fix might include also normal requesters.

I added this also to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=20566 Changes for the Personal Roboport
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Anson
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Requester chests/Personal RP should default to zero or o

Post by Anson »

ssilk wrote:The current requesting for personal roboport ...
I changed also the topic title (so that you see, that it is more related to personal roboport only. But a fix might include also normal requesters.
isn't the personal roboport about construction and deconstruction, and doesn't involve any logistic bots ?
what is its relation to requesting items in the character inventory ?

I'm using the "inventory requester" independently of and long before i have power armor and a personal roboport.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Requ. chests/PowerArmor should default to zero or one

Post by ssilk »

Hm. Indeed I mixed it a bit up; I meant the power armor. Too much suggestions overflow :lol: . I will fix this.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”