A more costly better-performing pathfinding

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Modernkennnern
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

A more costly better-performing pathfinding

Post by Modernkennnern »

TL;DR
A secondary pathfinding option for more critical tasks.

What ?
Pathfinding in this game is very simple - this is great for biters and other things where their tasks are very simple and even if they fail it doesn't matter, "Oh, the enemy walked into the tree, how sad...". However, it's not very good for mods that's based on the utilization of pathfinding-based entities like "AAI - Programmable Vehicles". The pathfinding really ruins the experience for such a mod
Why ?
I've been playing a purely-AAI base recently, and the cars gets stuck all the time moving from A to B, additionally they often drive straight into trees and some other annoying things that really ruins the experience, especially the fact that they often just try to move from A to B in a direct line without even attempting pathfinding (Not sure if that's pathfinding related, or AAI-related, although I have a feeling the latter is at fault, but I don't know).
Creator of Better Cargo Plane - submod for Aircraft

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: A more costly better-performing pathfinding

Post by netmand »

DARPA Grand Challenge, Factorio edition!

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

In this case, the movement of the vehicle is run by the mod, so there isn't really an actionable idea here

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

Modernkennnern wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:17 pm
they often just try to move from A to B in a direct line without even attempting pathfinding (Not sure if that's pathfinding related, or AAI-related, although I have a feeling the latter is at fault, but I don't know).
If the entity doesn't even attempt to pathfind then it cannot be pathfinding-related.
Modernkennnern wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:17 pm
A secondary pathfinding option for more critical tasks.
The game already uses multiple pathfinding priorities to choose which path requests to take on first, and this is accessible from the API by passing the low_priority flag to LuaSurface::request_path to give the request a low priority – or by not passing that flag, which gives the request a high priority.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Looks like this is already implemented, and moved to Implemented.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”