Circuit network connection to chain signals

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ikarikeiji
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Circuit network connection to chain signals

Post by ikarikeiji »

My suggestion is to:
allow red/green/yellow/blue color to be read from a connected chain signal (just like red/green/yellow can be read from a regular signal), and
allow a connected chain signal to be set to red by a circuit network signal just like a regular signal can be set to red.

Why?
I wanted to add additional conditions to some junctions in my network, mainly to give priority to certain trains.
However, currently you have to use regular signals if you want to connect it to the circuit network; chain signals won't connect.
So to gain the ability to make it red on demand, I lose the ability to have the signal automatically red when there is no free path ahead.
I thought of reading a signal and factoring that into my circuit network conditions, but quickly realised I would need to read EVERY exit signal (which would ALSO then need to be made regular signals, continuing the problem), so you end up having to replicate the chain signal logic manually with combinators and it becomes a bit of a logic explosion!

I imagine it should be fairly simple to make this work, given regular signals are already connectable.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Circuit network connection to chain signals

Post by Bilka »

This is implemented in version 0.16 :)
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

ikarikeiji
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ikarikeiji »

Ooh excellent. ☆

Nevermind then, please forgive me for failing to search the "implemented" forum as well as this one! I shall eagerly await the stable.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

ikarikeiji wrote:Nevermind then, please forgive me for failing to search the "implemented" forum as well as this one! I shall eagerly await the stable.
The "implemented" sub-forum is, by default, also searched. So, unless you explicitly deactivated the option "search subforums", then you also searched the "implemented" sub-forum.

So, you did not "fail" to search the "implemented" sub-forum. If you insist on having "failed" on something, then it must be "failing" to read the 0.16.0 changelog. ;-)

Or, since most people don't read the entire changelogs, you could also say that you "failed" to try the experimental version.

But there is no rule on the forums that you are supposed to read changelogs or try the latest experimental version before making a suggestion. So your argument of a "failure" on your side does not seem justified. :)

mp0011
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mp0011 »

Chain Signals can be read by network, but not closed...

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

mp0011 wrote:Chain Signals can be read by network, but not closed...
Oh, you are right. I was surprised to see that.

I cannot think of any reason why chain signals should not be closable by the circuit network. It seems just as important to me to be able to close chain signals as standard signals.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Wiring a chain signal is more confusing than useful. What does it mean if a light is set blue? Does green mean all paths are forced open? Which paths do a yellow actually warn about? There's too much ambiguity and it's going to give you nothing but headaches.

Chain signals obey the main signals in front of them. If you want to control chain signals, simply connect to the main signals. This way you have exact readings and can directly control which paths are open or closed.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

bobucles wrote:Does green mean all paths are forced open?
The circuit network is only able to force a (standard) signal to red, not to green. Nobody ever suggested being able to force a signal to green.
bobucles wrote:If you want to control chain signals, simply connect to the main signals.
If you do that, forcing that signal to red will block all routes going past that signal. Being able to force the previous chain signal to red will allow you to block a specific route, without blocking all routes.

Just as a side note: If this suggestion were implemented, it would be possible for the circuit network to block individual trains, instead of only routes.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Since this thread has now been moved to the "implemented" sub-forum, although it is only half implemented (not able to force to red), the OP may now want to open a new suggestion thread containing only the not already implemented part of the suggestion.

ikarikeiji
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ikarikeiji »

bobucles wrote:Wiring a chain signal is more confusing than useful. What does it mean if a light is set blue? Does green mean all paths are forced open? Which paths do a yellow actually warn about? There's too much ambiguity and it's going to give you nothing but headaches.
Blue means at least one exit signal is red and at least one exit signal is green.

Green means that all exit signals are green.

Yellow - just like for a regular signal - means that a train has already reserved the IMMEDIATE block (between that chain signal and the exit signals) but has not passed the chain signal yet.

I don't see how any of that is ambiguous and, it sounds like that much has already been implemented anyway.
bobucles wrote:Chain signals obey the main signals in front of them. If you want to control chain signals, simply connect to the main signals. This way you have exact readings and can directly control which paths are open or closed.
If I have a chain signal with 4 exit signals, in order to set the chain signal to red I would have to set ALL 4 exit signals to red, so that doesn't solve the problem originally mentioned (which was that I had to connect to every exit signal).

And, as Tekky mentions, it would also set to red any other chain signals leading to those same exit signals, which would inhibit the ability to prioritize one entrance over another.
Tekky wrote:Since this thread has now been moved to the "implemented" sub-forum, although it is only half implemented (not able to force to red), the OP may now want to open a new suggestion thread containing only the not already implemented part of the suggestion.
I'll create a new thread and link it back to here. (Replying to the above in the new thread would have made things a bit too confusing...)

Edit: New thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=58453

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”