The differentiate of the inserter stack size

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

dyf123
Inserter
Inserter

The differentiate of the inserter stack size

Post by dyf123 »

Before the version of 0.12.x, The inserter size is only 1 when it pick things from belt or to belt and will be increased by the effect of 'Inserter capacity bonus' when it pick things from machine/chest or to machine/chest.

When at the version of 0.13.x, This game imported stack inserter, And change the effect of 'Inserter capacity bonus' , which the non stack inserter's size will be increased when picking things from anywhere or to anywhere.

Though It (https://wiki.factorio.com/Inserter) says that 'Inserters are able to squeeze things slightly better to belts.', it 's what the stack inserter need to do that and the non stack inserter not to.The change will lose a easy way to control inserter's size precisely.

So I suggsest mightily that the effect of 'Inserter capacity bonus' will not effect the size of non stack inserter when it pick things from belt or to belt and it always only 1 item. 'squeeze things slightly better to belts' is stack inserter need to do and it 's why it was be imported.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: The differentiate of the inserter stack size

Post by bobingabout »

Yeah... I would like to see the standard (non-stack) inserters revert to their pre 0.12 functionality. (You sure it's 0.12, not 0.13?)

So this is what I would like to see:
For normal inserters: even with a stack size bonus it would grab only a single item from a belt and move it into a machine, or from a machine and put it on a belt.
For Stack inserters: Grab an item, and wait, grabbing more items until the stack size limit is reached, then move and place them all.
For all inserters Chest to chest, Chest to machine, Machine to chest and machine to machine: Grab up to the stack limit and move them in one go.

The fact that they all function the same with a different stack size is... not enough of a differentiation in my opinion.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

This topic goes into direction of other similar topics around the probems with inserter-stack size. There are a handful of ideas (from controlling the stack size by circuits to ideas like this one). We do not know what - but it seems, that this needs to be fixed and will be fixed.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

a fix for taking things from a belt is to wire the inserter to a pole, and set to enable if *everything = 0
won't work from chests as it grabs an entire stack at once.

another option is to not research 'Inserter capacity bonus 2' which increases non-stack inserter capacity.

'creative mode' mod lets you set the stack, and non-stack inserter bonuses independently under team cheats.
creative.mode.stack.png
creative.mode.stack.png (243.47 KiB) Viewed 3193 times
but i do hope the devs come up with a vanilla solution.
similar to setting logistic requester size in options/other, but for non-stack inserter bonus sizes.

dyf123
Inserter
Inserter

Post by dyf123 »

bobingabout wrote:Yeah... I would like to see the standard (non-stack) inserters revert to their pre 0.12 functionality. (You sure it's 0.12, not 0.13?)

So this is what I would like to see:
For normal inserters: even with a stack size bonus it would grab only a single item from a belt and move it into a machine, or from a machine and put it on a belt.
For Stack inserters: Grab an item, and wait, grabbing more items until the stack size limit is reached, then move and place them all.
For all inserters Chest to chest, Chest to machine, Machine to chest and machine to machine: Grab up to the stack limit and move them in one go.

The fact that they all function the same with a different stack size is... not enough of a differentiation in my opinion.
Yes, It 's what I mean. I had played a long time on 0.12 (a No DRM copy). And I created a new save on 0.14 recently and found a old design have broken. Then Someone tell me the new feature imported on 0.13.

I think the size's control of non stack inserter and stack inserter. In the API document, The control is on the LuaForce class, And there are two variates. One is 'inserter_stack_size_bonus', which says 'The inserter stack size bonus for non stack inserters'. The other is 'stack_inserter_capacity_bonus', which says 'Number of items that can be transferred by stack inserters'. It seems they are different and diacritical.

BTW, On version 0.12, the type of 'stack_inserter_capacity_bonus' is uint, And it change to double on Version 0.14. Does it mean a half of item can grab?

dyf123
Inserter
Inserter

Post by dyf123 »

ssilk wrote:This topic goes into direction of other similar topics around the probems with inserter-stack size. There are a handful of ideas (from controlling the stack size by circuits to ideas like this one). We do not know what - but it seems, that this needs to be fixed and will be fixed.
I heard about the ideas to control the size with circuits, but I want to a thorough fix because it's too much encumbrance to control the active of inserter and the stack size of the inserter.

Form other topic (viewtopic.php?f=18&t=42062), Koub said 'Wait for 0.15, where the number of items an inserter can grab will be circuit controllable.'. I hope that it 's a right given back for the control of the size that inserter can grab.

dyf123
Inserter
Inserter

Post by dyf123 »

impetus maximus wrote:a fix for taking things from a belt is to wire the inserter to a pole, and set to enable if *everything = 0
won't work from chests as it grabs an entire stack at once.

another option is to not research 'Inserter capacity bonus 2' which increases non-stack inserter capacity.

'creative mode' mod lets you set the stack, and non-stack inserter bonuses independently under team cheats.
creative.mode.stack.png
but i do hope the devs come up with a vanilla solution.
similar to setting logistic requester size in options/other, but for non-stack inserter bonus sizes.
It's what I have done now. Set 'inserter_stack_size_bonus' of player's force to 0. The inserters grad only 1 item from or to anywhere, even machines or chests.

Nich
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nich »

I am on board just to give you something to justify the cost of the stack inserter

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

dyf123 wrote: BTW, On version 0.12, the type of 'stack_inserter_capacity_bonus' is uint, And it change to double on Version 0.14. Does it mean a half of item can grab?
i'm guessing the bonus has doubled from +1 to +2 for a total of 3 items being grabbed.
dyf123 wrote:It's what I have done now. Set 'inserter_stack_size_bonus' of player's force to 0. The inserters grad only 1 item from or to anywhere, even machines or chests.
glad that works for you. i know some want to stay pure vanilla.

looking forward to stack options in 0.15. :P

dyf123
Inserter
Inserter

Post by dyf123 »

impetus maximus wrote:
dyf123 wrote: BTW, On version 0.12, the type of 'stack_inserter_capacity_bonus' is uint, And it change to double on Version 0.14. Does it mean a half of item can grab?
i'm guessing the bonus has doubled from +1 to +2 for a total of 3 items being grabbed.
dyf123 wrote:It's what I have done now. Set 'inserter_stack_size_bonus' of player's force to 0. The inserters grad only 1 item from or to anywhere, even machines or chests.
glad that works for you. i know some want to stay pure vanilla.

looking forward to stack options in 0.15. :P
Will it have the options without any limits like circuit? I hope it can be set manual or other.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”