lay repeating underground pipes like power lines

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

lay repeating underground pipes like power lines

Post by sparr »

You can drag-and-run to lay down properly spaced power poles.

I would love to see a feature similar to this for pipe-to-ground connectors. You would click to lay the first segment (into the ground) normally, but keep the button depressed while you move in a straight line. Then, instead of the placement repeating every tile, it would place two connectors every 6 tiles, so the pipe is mostly underground.

This would probably use the same or similar code functionality to the existing special case for power poles.

Attached is a screenshot. Top to bottom:

what power poles would look like without the existing special case
what pipes to ground currently look like while dragging
what power poles currently look like while dragging
what pipes to ground would look like with a special case
Attachments
Screenshot 2014-02-17 23.02.02.png
Screenshot 2014-02-17 23.02.02.png (309.75 KiB) Viewed 24208 times

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: lay repeating underground pipes like power lines

Post by immibis »

Also underground belts.

Edit: And roboports.

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

+1 for underground pipes and belts

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

This would also be nice for miners, repeating so that their mining areas do not overlap.

Also, for the specific case of pipes, it would be nice to have an option or modifier to place a solid pipe between each pair of pipe to ground, for forking and liquid identification.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

sparr wrote:This would also be nice for miners, repeating so that their mining areas do not overlap.
I place them often as narrow as possible, to clean the fields as fast as possible.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

boro
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by boro »

Thought I'd bump this cause placing underground pipes is easily the most annoying thing in the game :)

CreeperDaReeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by CreeperDaReeper »

ssilk wrote:
sparr wrote:This would also be nice for miners, repeating so that their mining areas do not overlap.
I place them often as narrow as possible, to clean the fields as fast as possible.
I agree here. Others sound good, but leave miners out of it. Thank you.

Wutklumpen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Wutklumpen »

*bump* - this is a nice comfort for little expense. Well, it's a bit more complicated than with the poles since devs have to rotate the endpieces and this could be way harder than it sounds^^
Fight back - if necessary strike first

SteelGiant
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SteelGiant »

Wutklumpen wrote:*bump* - this is a nice comfort for little expense. Well, it's a bit more complicated than with the poles since devs have to rotate the endpieces and this could be way harder than it sounds^^
The end pieces already rotate when you're placing underground pipes, which does make placing them easier most of the time. This would just entail modifiction of the placing logic.

A complication is how to deal with misalignment. Power lines can be placed at any angle relative to another pole, however pipes only connect when in a straight line. Should the pipe placement not connect unless you're in line, or should it place a pipe in the correct spot once your cursor passes the maximum distance even if it is out of line?

Wutklumpen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Wutklumpen »

SteelGiant wrote: The end pieces already rotate when you're placing underground pipes, which does make placing them easier most of the time. This would just entail modifiction of the placing logic.
I merely thought about fiddeling this stuff in between the mouse-events. what currently seems to be on mouseUp needs to fit into mousePressed. Maybe it's easy, maybe not ;)
Fight back - if necessary strike first

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

Making oil outposts is something i don't like to do in facotio due to the fact that you can't easily place them underground.
implementing this idea will make oil so much more fun to get.
Waste of bytes : P

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Well, I use train for this, but I get it.

_aD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by _aD »

Just to be clear: more trains. Any excuse whatsoever. Even a single oil well on its own. More trains.

Locus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Locus »

+1,000,000

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

kovarex wrote:Well, I use train for this, but I get it.
_aD wrote:Just to be clear: more trains. Any excuse whatsoever. Even a single oil well on its own. More trains.
Depends on distance and accessability.

More oil wells about 100-500 tiles from my oil storage tanks and refineries? Pipes
more oil wells fairly far away, but within reach of my logistic zone? (I usually cover my whole base in a logistic zone, it can be quite large, a few thousand tiles across) make an oil barreling outpost, but link it to the logistic network.
Even further away, outside of logistic zone? Train!

When I first started setting up the train lines, I had it so empty barrels and full barrels went in the same carriages, I would find that often the train was just running loops with the same cargo, because there wasn't enough room to unload the full/empty barrels, depending on the situation. this is when I started using seperate cargo wagons for full barrels ran empty barrels.

Back on topic with the pipes... there's more reason to have pipes than just oil. my mod for example has lots of new fluids, so many in fact that it is impossible to build your factories where the fluid you want is produced, so you'll end up piping it to odd places, just because there was some room to set up a new factory there.

having the ability to more easily place long underground pipes would be an advantage.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Slooney3
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Slooney3 »

I would like to lay pipe above ground side by side without making a connection between them like conveyors. If you want to connect them use the rotate key (R by default).

xnmo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by xnmo »

Slooney3 wrote:I would like to lay pipe above ground side by side without making a connection between them like conveyors. If you want to connect them use the rotate key (R by default).
While I don't personally have a problem with the way pipes work, making them behave more like transport belts is definitely an idea worth considering. It would reduce instances of "whoops just erased my entire petroleum supply" and make more space efficient setups possible.

Molay
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Molay »

xnmo wrote:
Slooney3 wrote:I would like to lay pipe above ground side by side without making a connection between them like conveyors. If you want to connect them use the rotate key (R by default).
While I don't personally have a problem with the way pipes work, making them behave more like transport belts is definitely an idea worth considering. It would reduce instances of "whoops just erased my entire petroleum supply" and make more space efficient setups possible.
I could get behind that, as long as we don't forget to add in a new hub-pipe item to replace the existing pipe^^

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

There's a mod somewhere that does these "Pipes link where you want them to" things, I think it's called pipe dream on the mods section.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”