Stock Better Vehicle Control

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Stock Better Vehicle Control

Post by orzelek »

sparr wrote:We're still not talking about the same thing.

This isn't about general fine control of the car. This is about being able to get the car to drive in a known compass direction, so it's not slowly creeping into a wall or onto a train track.

When I'm driving for 30 seconds in a straight line, I don't want to be playing Desert Bus.
Thats the main point here I think. Better vehicle control is cool but the main problem is being able to drive exactly along one of cardinals. It removes the most annoying part of driving now - need to try to hit the exact course along wall/rail etc or adjust it so slightly so you don't veer off or into it.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

orzelek wrote:
sparr wrote:We're still not talking about the same thing.

This isn't about general fine control of the car. This is about being able to get the car to drive in a known compass direction, so it's not slowly creeping into a wall or onto a train track.

When I'm driving for 30 seconds in a straight line, I don't want to be playing Desert Bus.
Thats the main point here I think. Better vehicle control is cool but the main problem is being able to drive exactly along one of cardinals. It removes the most annoying part of driving now - need to try to hit the exact course along wall/rail etc or adjust it so slightly so you don't veer off or into it.
The new car controls will allow you align to one of the cardinal directions quite easily, this is what im trying to say

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

Klonan wrote:The new car controls will allow you align to one of the cardinal directions quite easily, this is what im trying to say
Your video shows the car never actually aligned. It's off by 1-3 degrees every time you try. You can see this by watching the edges of the frame, where the rails leave the frame. As you're driving northeast, the point where the rail intersects the north edge of the frame slowly moves to the side (slowly to the right, then more slowly to the left after you adjust).

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

sparr wrote:
Klonan wrote:The new car controls will allow you align to one of the cardinal directions quite easily, this is what im trying to say
Your video shows the car never actually aligned. It's off by 1-3 degrees every time you try. You can see this by watching the edges of the frame, where the rails leave the frame. As you're driving northeast, the point where the rail intersects the north edge of the frame slowly moves to the side (slowly to the right, then more slowly to the left after you adjust).
Well its good enough, IMO a huge improvement over 0.12, and still if its not satisfactory enough there will no doubt be a mod which will align them perfectly

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

There's already a mod that lines them up perfectly. It's called Better Vehicle Control. It's the subject of part of the original post of this thread.

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

But my biggest problem while driving the vehicles is not aligning... actually, I don't really care about aligning since I only drive in open space. The problem is I can't figure out which button to turn when not driving towards north. I often turn to the wrong direction and crash on an alien spawner. Since then I just walk when engaging the aliens. :(
ssilk wrote:Sorry, when I'm intervening and with all respect, but I think it is not possible to control that like so ...
Yea, maybe you are right. My suggestion was too complicated to control. Don't have experience on making driving games, so just a crazy thought :lol:

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Factorio is a game, which is quite demanding to control. But I assure you, that steering like so is just a matter of exercise.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”