Player Inventory Size

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Avarant
Inserter
Inserter

Player Inventory Size

Post by Avarant »

Just a small idea...

Perhaps we could start with a little less inventory size, and unlock more inventory through researching Mechanized Backpacks or something.

Chrille
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Player Inventory Size

Post by Chrille »

Going in a completely opposite direction.

What if the player could only carry reasonable amount of stuff. Not much more than some tools, guns, armor etc.
That he can carry around several thousands bars of steel and the equivalent of half a forest in trees is a bit OP almost.
You can run around and do everything in your factory by hand, it's just annoying.
What if you couldn't?
Want to carry a bunch of coal to that burner? Better have a good backpack or a belt for it. Maybe a car with a big trunk.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Reducing the size of the player inventory by a large amount would be very annoying, Chrille. Realism has to give away to gameplay.

I like the idea. ^^
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

Chrille
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Chrille »

Nova wrote:Reducing the size of the player inventory by a large amount would be very annoying, Chrille. Realism has to give away to gameplay.
I could argue that it could add to the gameplay when the idea is that you have to handle large amounts of items that you can't carry around.
I'm not talking about simply reducing inventory size, I mean redo how items are handled completely.
It would probably change the idea completely, I'm just up way too late being sick/creative ;)

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dysoch »

I have a plan to implement this to my dynamic system in DyTech. You start small, and get more inventory space as you progress throu the game.

It will ofcourse, include a lot of factors to upgrade your inventory.
Something like
  • craft an backpack (gets destroyed after use)
  • craft certain amount of goods
  • mine quite a bit manually
  • and even kill some biters
It will be released in DyTech v2!
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2
Active since Factorio 0.6

Chrille
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Chrille »

Dysoch wrote:I have a plan to implement this to my dynamic system in DyTech. You start small, and get more inventory space as you progress throu the game.

It will ofcourse, include a lot of factors to upgrade your inventory.
Something like
  • craft an backpack (gets destroyed after use)
  • craft certain amount of goods
  • mine quite a bit manually
  • and even kill some biters
It will be released in DyTech v2!
In that case I certainly hope you will change the biters. Right now there barely even is small biters in your mod and I don't see it being other than tediously slow to start the game if too difficult.
It does sound a bit like you're adding grinding to the game, not sure I like that.

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dysoch »

Chrille wrote:
In that case I certainly hope you will change the biters. Right now there barely even is small biters in your mod and I don't see it being other than tediously slow to start the game if too difficult.
It does sound a bit like you're adding grinding to the game, not sure I like that.
The spawn rates for the biters are kinda hard to figure out. but ill work on that.

grinding, no. it will be simple, and easy. you wont notice a thing. (yet, perhaps?)
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2
Active since Factorio 0.6

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

Chrille wrote:Going in a completely opposite direction.

What if the player could only carry reasonable amount of stuff. Not much more than some tools, guns, armor etc.
That he can carry around several thousands bars of steel and the equivalent of half a forest in trees is a bit OP almost.
You can run around and do everything in your factory by hand, it's just annoying.
What if you couldn't?
Want to carry a bunch of coal to that burner? Better have a good backpack or a belt for it. Maybe a car with a big trunk.
And how do you move a whole steam engine?

TGS
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TGS »

Interesting idea. If it is optional. Otherwise it'll probably just get annoying.

Chrille
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Chrille »

ficolas wrote:
Chrille wrote:Going in a completely opposite direction.

What if you couldn't?
And how do you move a whole steam engine?
A vehicle I'd say of some kind. As with most other things.

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

ficolas wrote:And how do you move a whole steam engine?
Well, as long as we are going with limiting player's inventory you might as well say that anything 'large' must be deconstructed into it's recipe components and then moved and rebuilt. Or with some form of crane and trailer (slightly more expensive hopefully).

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”