Mod support: info.json option for conflicting mods

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

vzybilly
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Mod support: info.json option for conflicting mods

Post by vzybilly »

ssilk wrote:
Even more so when there's talk of getting Factorio to be able to download and install mods in itself, allowing for people to just browse a list and say, "this one, this one, and this one", just like a package manager...
Well, that is a very, very far target. 1 year or so, I guess here of course, but well.
This doesn't have to be so far off. Website with mods, run by factorio or gives factorio an API till they get there own/eat the other site. once that is done, refactor abit of loading so the process goes more like: Factorio starts > Factorio checks for updates, show user update > checks mod infos to make sure all are valid > check mod site with mods, show user updates > load mods.

That gives factorio abit better self updating and also allows people to update mods without even looking online.
Inside factorio at the mod screen, it could be replaced with something more like synaptic (a linux package manager, still running with "mods==packages" idea)
img of synaptic
ssilk wrote:
vzybilly wrote:There WILL be more in the future, isn't now the time to think about better ways?
Well, yes, of course now is the right time. That's why we are discussing it. :)
Everything is currently quite hypothetical.

What we can take out till here is: The idea with more functions to see in which context the own mod is running is very useful. I'll point the devs to this thread. We will see, what comes out from here.
My techy talk about how debian handles package dependencies
1AM sleepy posting again, yay!
Will code for Food. I also have 11+ mods!

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”