Anti Griefing Method

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

kyle dawson
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Anti Griefing Method

Post by kyle dawson »

Hello,

Now I just want to start off with imagen your having a pleasant night and having fun chilling and building away on multiplayer and then you encounter a player that starts destroying your factory or being straight up negative and destructive, normally these types of players can be banned fairly easily and the save can just be reloaded.

Now imagen you encounter a person that designed their name specifically to grief and troll other players in a negative way and with no function to remove the player before they do tons of damage to a point were your factory is not recoverable, true story this happened to me earlier this evening, the guy named his account in a way that there was almost no work around (that I am aware of) to ban him before to much damage was done.

Now imagen trying to ban someone with a name like: lolLegue-of-legendslol
This on its own is not a issue most of the time but for example in Factorio this could be many things E.g:

lolLegue-of-legendslol

IolLegue-of-legendslol
loILegue-of-legendslol
lolLegue-of-Iegendslol
lolLegue-of-legendsIol
lolLegue-of-legendsloI

IoILegue-of-legendslol
loILegue-of-Iegendslol
lolLegue-of-IegendsIol
lolLegue-of-legendsIoI
IolLegue-of-Iegendslol
IolLegue-of-legendsIol
IolLegue-of-legendsloI
loILegue-of-legendsIol
loILegue-of-legendsloI
lolLegue-of-IegendsloI
IolLegue-of-Iegendslol

IoILegue-of-Iegendslol
loILegue-of-IegendsIol
lolLegue-of-IegendsIoI
IolLegue-of-legendsIoI
loILegue-of-legendsIoI

IoILegue-of-IegendsIol
loILegue-of-IegendsIoI
IolLegue-of-IegendsIoI
IoILegue-of-legendsIoI
IoILegue-of-IegendsloI

IoILegue-of-IegendsIoI

(most text I'll point out show the difference with I (i) and L (l) but in Factorio this is not the case E.g: copy the above and paste into a text editor and it should show a clear difference in most case's)

I think I went through every variation if not I think at this point the point has been made anyway, because of this player it straight up killed my mood for the game mainly because there was no effective way of removing this person from the game fast enough to prevent damage being done or to prevent him from re-joining even after reloading the save unless I go through every possible variation of the name (as far as I am aware of).

2 Simple fix's for this in my opinion could be either "change the displayed text in Factorio's chat window" to clearly display a difference for I (i) and L (l) to allow no errors in typing the name or to add the ability to "copy someone's name in chat or logs" to paste into the ban list, the texts font change though would probably be the easier fix I believe mainly because that information is already meant to be displayed and nothing new would need to be added (like the function for copy paste for text chat (again that I am aware of).

I do love the game because it is a very good game and very well balanced but the griefing in my opinion does need some work to prevent situations like this from happening again or to stop them with enough time to reverse the damage a griefer has done.

Thanks all for taking a moment to have a read of this and yea if you run into that person in a game I can only let you know my experience with this person is all.

kyle dawson
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Anti Griefing Method, Wube please read

Post by kyle dawson »

just a update on this, this guy has multiple accounts focused on griefing:

https://prnt.sc/ztvFT8m6eCUk

https://prnt.sc/dqKs5X14fBWf

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

You can use the admin gui (/admin) to ban people without typing their username. Or you can tab complete the username when typing the /ban command, so only need to type the first few letters.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

kyle dawson
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by kyle dawson »

Thanks, I did not even know that was possible, this will be a lot easier than trying to type the whole name and every possible variation

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Illiander42 »

Bilka wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:11 pm
You can use the admin gui (/admin) to ban people without typing their username. Or you can tab complete the username when typing the /ban command, so only need to type the first few letters.
Does that list include players who have been on the server, but aren't currently?

Because another obvious troll tool is to "flicker" being on the server.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

Illiander42 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:07 pm
Does that list include players who have been on the server, but aren't currently?

Because another obvious troll tool is to "flicker" being on the server.
Yes:
Screenshot_20231001_221902.png
Screenshot_20231001_221902.png (124.04 KiB) Viewed 732 times
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”