No timeout for ghosts/blueprints when covered by roboport

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Harkonnen604
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

No timeout for ghosts/blueprints when covered by roboport

Post by Harkonnen604 »

Quite frequently I found myself in a situation when I ordered zillions of solar panels to be constructed by bots, then some resource went off and not everything was placed. Eventually you find your base with randomly placed stuff and have to shift-reclick it all. It's even more pain when you try to cover you base with concrete - too much work for bots to do in 5 minutes. What I propose is that ghosts never time out when they are covered by roboport (green area).

Another thing about ghosts (shift-click) - it would be nice if ghosts would be available right away from the start of the game or via some early research. First reason - to lay out things ahead of time when you don't have real material yet. Second - when your base gets attacked by biters, by the time you arrive at the spot, they have eaten quite a lot of stuff and restoring all those belt layouts and inserters becomes quite a puzzle. Having ghosts there early in the game would help a lot for manual reconstruction. But that means that ghosts should never time out even when not covered by roboport.

Third minor thing about ghosts - it would be nice to be able to place ghosts for stuff you don't have in your inventory, e.g. via crafting menu.

Harkonnen604
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: No timeout for ghosts/blueprints when covered by roboport

Post by Harkonnen604 »

Thinking more on it - I don't know why ghosts received timeout in the first place. I guess the reason was turrets when they are used for attack. If so, criteria may be as follow - ghost gets 5 minutes timeout if it is a result of destruction. Otherwise it's eternal ghost.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

There are reasons for that timeout (mainly: If you place too many ghosts it takes up some CPU).

I added this to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=4682 Planing (Signs, Cloning, Ghosts, Blueprinting and further...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Harkonnen604
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Harkonnen604 »

If you place too many ghosts it takes up some CPU

It would take not more CPU than blueprinting your entire base with concrete, at least for coming 5 minutes. I saw no problems with that with quite big final stage base ready to launch rockets.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I actually have far more issues with attempting to deconstruct large areas of things (especially chests that are full) than placing too many blueprints. And deconstruction doesn't seem to have a time-out!
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

searker
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by searker »

bobingabout wrote:I actually have far more issues with attempting to deconstruct large areas of things (especially chests that are full) than placing too many blueprints. And deconstruction doesn't seem to have a time-out!
I´m not 100% sure, but IIRC, they do also have timeouts, but they persist way longer than blueprints.
-root had this problem in his megabase. He ordered huge chunks of forest to be deconstructed, but forgot about it afterwards. Therefore, his UPS dropped by 30 or so.

HanziQ took a look at the save and noticed this issue. He provided -root with a command-line script to remove all "deconstruction marks", but said that he´ll implement something to remove those marks after a given time.

As said, i´m not 100% certain, but this is what i remember from watching his videos.

XBBX
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by XBBX »

Hold shift and use deconstruction planer to remove red x

Jürgen Erhard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jürgen Erhard »

searker wrote:
bobingabout wrote:I actually have far more issues with attempting to deconstruct large areas of things (especially chests that are full) than placing too many blueprints. And deconstruction doesn't seem to have a time-out!
I´m not 100% sure, but IIRC, they do also have timeouts, but they persist way longer than blueprints.
-root had this problem in his megabase. He ordered huge chunks of forest to be deconstructed, but forgot about it afterwards. Therefore, his UPS dropped by 30 or so.

HanziQ took a look at the save and noticed this issue. He provided -root with a command-line script to remove all "deconstruction marks", but said that he´ll implement something to remove those marks after a given time.

As said, i´m not 100% certain, but this is what i remember from watching his videos.
Do you (shut about about "necro") remember a timeframe when this was changed? I wish deconstruction would *not* timeout, like ghost now don't. But apparently, *they* still do. And regardless of size (which would make sense: timeout if queue larger than X, or if UPS too low).

EDIT: Clarified, I'm actually looking for the release notes. But thanks all the same, Ben. Still helpful. :D
Last edited by Jürgen Erhard on Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BenSeidel »

Jürgen Erhard wrote:Do you (shut about about "necro") remember a timeframe? I wish deconstruction would *not* timeout, like ghost now don't. But apparently, *they* still do. And regardless of size (which would make sense: timeout if queue larger than X, or if UPS too low).
IIRC the time out for deconstructed entities is 60 minutes?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

This is more or less implemented.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”