Filter Inserters: INVERT filter.

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Filter Inserters: INVERT filter.

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

As I said above Malcolm you could even use belts to move the car into position and to the re-loading dock, even to a launch pad after that. It's just a bit hacky and doesn't really work that well.

Optera, I didn't forget about that, it's just a separate problem and doesn't hold any relevance here. I'm not saying 'ignore this problem because there are bigger ones' (there are), just that I don't see this as being a problem.

Easiest way to implement. You've got two belts, A and B. Inverse filter inserter would take everything except item X and put it on belt B. Belt A now has item X, and belt B has everything else. Current method: Inserter takes item X and puts it on belt B. Belt B now has item X, belt A has everything else. Swap belts A and B and the output is identical.

IV's solution handles everything that this doesn't. I don't see a problem any more than that a underground belts only allow four tiles between them. Yeah it's annoying and would be great if it were 6 but if everything were made to be easy the game would lose a lot of its entertainment value.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I thought a bit about this suggestion and I think we need for each target a bit different solution.

For the belts there is the above solution with the belt-controlled inserter. I think that could be seen as a durable solution, which has some kind of complexity, but also some interesting new game-play. And I'm sure other problems could be solved just with only-Facotrio-devices. So no need to change anything for the belts. :)

For the vehicles I think we need a special device, cause that is also some kind of show-stopper yet: You cannot automatically load/unload the car.

I think to a depot or so. Place car in some reach of the depot and it will be moved into the depot (just place hazard concrete around the depot and any vehicle on that ground is moved slowly to the next depot), where it is filled with the wanted stuff.
It could be a number of inserters or just a real house, where the car is parked into - doesn't matter.
I think, that it should be implement as mod in a first version.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

MalcolmCooks
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MalcolmCooks »

ssilk wrote:Place car in some reach of the depot and it will be moved into the depot (just place hazard concrete around the depot and any vehicle on that ground is moved slowly to the next depot)
What about with belts? it would take some extra work than just moving the car along the ground like belts do currently, you would have to change the orientation and line it up with the depot, but I think the visual aid of belts would be better than having the car just slide along the ground on its own. 2 belts next to each other would look good, and you could extend them outwards. Also provides a reasonable mechanism for rotating the car - the two belts can change their speed (doesn't need to be visual) thus rotating the car.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

MalcolmCooks wrote:What about with belts? it would take some extra work than just moving the car along the ground like belts do currently, you would have to change the orientation and line it up with the depot, but I think the visual aid of belts would be better than having the car just slide along the ground on its own. 2 belts next to each other would look good, and you could extend them outwards. Also provides a reasonable mechanism for rotating the car - the two belts can change their speed (doesn't need to be visual) thus rotating the car.
Well, belts are not reliable enough. They are not thought for this kind of transport. And look - well that's taste - just ugly for that case. :)
No, truly: Why do I need to place belts for that? And not only that: I need to turn the car also in the right direction.

But I don't want to argue here. It really doesn't matter, what/how the car is shifted to a loading station. It just should work. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”