Power generation with atoms.

Moderator: Fatmice

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Support - Uranium Power

Post by Fatmice »

Hello,

The non-rotating Cold Leg problem is a "feature" courtesy of vanilla Factorio 0.11.22. :) It does not affect 0.6.1. I don't know how to fix it for 0.6.0. :(

Regarding your power production issue, check that you have
1/Enough pressurized-water in the reactor, reactor circ pump, hot leg.
2/Water in cold-leg
3/Water in cooling tower water source.

It would help to show me your setup with pictures. I can not help you blind.
Maintainer and developer of Atomic Power. See here for more information.
Current release: 0.6.6 - Requires 0.14.x
Example build - Requires 0.14.x

Val
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Val »

starting_to_stall.JPG
starting_to_stall.JPG (135.11 KiB) Viewed 7063 times
stalled.JPG
stalled.JPG (137.11 KiB) Viewed 7063 times
Even when stalled, the
- reactor is full with 3.0k pressurized water at 350 degrees
- hot leg has 500 pressurized water at 280 degrees.
- cold leg has 100 water at 15 degrees.

I wanted to finish my playthrough still with 0.11, but I guess I'll revisit nuclear power in 0.12

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

You have too much liquid in the reactor, recirc pump, and hot leg. Bleed out liquid until the reactor has no more than 800-850 units. This is a common mistake. :D If you look at my Uranium_Mod-Example-16, you will see that =). It is a subtle point that is often missed.

Val
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Val »

Thank you, this solved the problem.

The bug with the random chance of the cold leg not being connectible to pipes still persists, but if I manage to start the reactor complex, it now keeps running :)

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Hello,

I am assuming you are still on 0.6.0. There is a way to fix your problem, which is not a bug but a vanilla feature. The cold leg has two pipes connections. Put a pipe on each connection. Rotate the cold leg until you see that one of the pipe "connects." When that occurs, you've put the cold leg in what's call direction 0, its intended direction when placed by my script. The only way for the cold leg to deviate from direction 0 is if you rotated it by accident. Now that the cold leg is in direction 0, break and replace the offending pipe and that pipe should reconnect. Finally remove the other pipe, which was used to sense the direction of the cold leg.

Wyrm
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Uranium Power

Post by Wyrm »

It seems the "0.11.x" version 0.6.0 is actually the "0.12" version.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

...And you would seem wrong. On what basis did you make your conclusion? :roll:

Darloth
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darloth »

How rare is Uranium supposed to be?

http://puu.sh/jcwa4/60a15496cf.png - I've explored this far (RSO default configs) and I can't find any. Found lots of fluoride, so I know the mod is (at least partly) working.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Hello,

It is somewhat rare, but not that rare. You might have missed them since they are very pale green and sort of blend into the grass tiles. It should be fairly noticeable on muddy, sand, or desert tiles. I don't know how RSO changes the spawn chance so I can't tell you. On average, vanilla Factorio will spawn one to two small patches in the spawn chunks.

Also, I can't see anything in that image. :)

Spawn a new map without RSO and see for yourself that it is working.

Darloth
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darloth »

I spawned some with and without RSO, and it's working in all of those...

I did add it later to my map, but before generating many chunks. The fact Fluorine is all over the place suggests that isn't the issue though. Maybe I've just been really unlucky.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

I will see if I can add a regenerate command to spawn the resources in case the mod was added later during the game.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

You can try to call RSO's regenerate command - but if you added any mods from game start it will create completely different ore layout.

I haven't tested how RSO behaves when new ores are added while it's already present. I thought it would ignore them but it doesn't - they should be added to any new region created. Potential issue might be that you might need to travel far since closer regions are most likely already generated. One region has about 210 tiles by default. In RSO both fluorite and uraninite have same spawn chance - rng can be cruel tho ;)

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Well Darloth can try that. I'm writing my own command since I don't want to be dependent on RSO's abilities or lack-thereof; what if the dev of that mod drops off the face of the earth?

wanyfer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by wanyfer »

Is it intended that if you just connect the 30 MW Turbine Generator/Cooling Tower complex to hot pressurised water?
this way i managed to get 3 30 MW Turbine Generator/Cooling Tower complex to one 144Mw reactor to produce massive ammount of energy

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Yeah that was only about RSO.
And with RSO your command will not work most likely since it disables the vanilla generation completely.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

wanyfer wrote:Is it intended that if you just connect the 30 MW Turbine Generator/Cooling Tower complex to hot pressurised water?
this way i managed to get 3 30 MW Turbine Generator/Cooling Tower complex to one 144Mw reactor to produce massive ammount of energy
It is not intended for the Turbine Generator to be connected directly to the reactor. In the next version, that will not work. ;)

Also, 90 MW / 144 MW is still reasonable. However, the way you're using pressurized water is rather wasteful no? You would need banks upon banks of water pressurizer.
orzelek wrote:Yeah that was only about RSO.
And with RSO your command will not work most likely since it disables the vanilla generation completely.
Well, then I best by-pass RSO's mechanism eh? After all, if they wrote a non-vanilla mechanism to generate resource, I can write my own as well.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Fatmice wrote:
orzelek wrote:Yeah that was only about RSO.
Well, then I best by-pass RSO's mechanism eh? After all, if they wrote a non-vanilla mechanism to generate resource, I can write my own as well.
Short note - I'm maintaining the RSO currently :D
And I'm not sure if you are aware but you don't need to redo vanilla generation if you want to refresh the ore - there is a game.regenerate_entity (or surface now maybe) method that can regen any ore on map using vanilla rules. It will work without RSO - with RSO present it's regenerate method needs to be called.

Darloth
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darloth »

Sorry for starting the whole thing off - it's just that human refusal to accept random chance again, because I've just been really unlucky with it spawning.

I finally found some, and of course when I did find some it came in three patches all together. It's almost as far away as that map screenshot shows, but in another direction, and absolutely crawling with biters so I'll have to build a war-train to go take it and then surround it with oodles of walls :)

Good to have a project to work on. Sorry for any confusion caused! The graphics for the uranium power components look nice, but I can't really make any other useful comments as I have yet to actually mine the stuff :)

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

No worries, writing a resource generator is something on the back-burner. I've added to my list of things I want to add and it will likely be a quite a while before I work on it. In the mean time, I'm itching to implement an accumulator with an inventory...hm, is that even possible?

netmc
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by netmc »

This may have been present before, but I just noticed it now... When processing uranium using a full enrichment chain up to the 4.7% pellets (using the diagonal chemical factory layout with loopback), the .07 percent hexoflouride liquid gets over created and stops the enrichment processing. I ended up slowing down the processing by only using 1 steel barrel for the yellow cake to hexoflouride production (so only one is processing at a time), and sped up the 1.2% processing step using a couple level 1 speed modules, and attaching a tank to the .07% loopback line. Even with that, the tank filled up with about 2k fluid in the tank by the time a wooden chest amount of uranium was processed.

I suppose the regular production rate of a miner would be much slower than if you processed it while it mined instead of processing everything at once. It took me a while to figure out what the heck was going on and why my system kept stopping.
Picture
processing chain.png
processing chain.png (2.19 MiB) Viewed 6939 times

Return to “Atomic Power”