Support - Uranium Power

Power generation with atoms.

Moderator: Fatmice

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Support - Uranium Power

Post by Fatmice »

Hello, the R and S are chiral designations: (R)ectus, and (S)inister, or right or left rotation. As for the heat exchangers not exchanging heat, that has to do with it not recognizing liquids from DyTech. It recognizes vanilla water, but not "clean water" or however it is called. Compatibility will be added after 0.6.0 and should be pretty easy do to. For now, I recommend using vanilla water or the pressurized water provided by the mod itself for best experience.
Maintainer and developer of Atomic Power. See here for more information.
Current release: 0.6.6 - Requires 0.14.x
Example build - Requires 0.14.x

WoodyDaOcas
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by WoodyDaOcas »

Thank you very much for the reply :) I will put the project on hold then and wait for compatibility. Have a nice one and thanks for your work on this cool mod :)

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

Fatmice wrote:Please post your questions or thoughts regarding this mod. Version supported is 0.5.x+

Please include mod version in your post if it is about bug(s).
mod not start in game(((
other mods
more memory power in pc (up in pc) no not start game

maybe the problem is that takes resources to create the same map?

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Perhaps you ran out of video memory, otherwise I do not know why your game is not starting.

Nanobytez
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nanobytez »

Airat9000 wrote:
Fatmice wrote:Please post your questions or thoughts regarding this mod. Version supported is 0.5.x+

Please include mod version in your post if it is about bug(s).
mod not start in game(((
other mods
more memory power in pc (up in pc) no not start game

maybe the problem is that takes resources to create the same map?

Are you just adding this mod to a previously played save? If so you need to reset the research and force spawn the ores.

Is the power consumption correct for the Reactors? 72/144 MW of power? Cuz uhhh... That can't be right, no way I'm producing even close to that. Visual bug?

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Nanobytez wrote: Is the power consumption correct for the Reactors? 72/144 MW of power? Cuz uhhh... That can't be right, no way I'm producing even close to that. Visual bug?
That is not a visual bug. In fact it's just the way that I balanced the reactor output. MW-heat is always more than MW-electric.

Udav
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Udav »

I download and try example: Uranium_Mod-Example-10.zip.
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 160#p66749.
UF6 enrichment plant built incorrectly.
It seems that from the moment of its construction swapped the inputs and outputs of liquids.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Yeah, something funky happen to 0.11.22 and switch things around. It should be fixed when I release 0.6 and make a new example build.

omega_haxors
Inserter
Inserter

Post by omega_haxors »

Line 395 throws an error in control.lua when you attempt to use the heat exchanger on anything other than water or pressurized water. The error reads: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)

And the line in question reads as follows:
local minT1 = fluidProperties[oldheatExchanger[2].fluidbox[1].type][1]

Version number: 0.5.3

EDIT: Figured it out.

Turns out that the fluid's properties are hard coded in the control file. It's as easy as adding your fluid to the list at line 35 and coding your own values. It's a little sloppy that it's done like this, especially since the code never checks if the fluid is in the list before attempting to interface with it, but it's a very simple fix.

Seriously though, fluid properties should be self-populating using the game's existing data tags. Make it happen.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

omega_haxors wrote:Line 395 throws an error in control.lua when you attempt to use the heat exchanger on anything other than water or pressurized water. The error reads: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)

Turns out that the fluid's properties are hard coded in the control file. It's as easy as adding your fluid to the list at line 35 and coding your own values. It's a little sloppy that it's done like this, especially since the code never checks if the fluid is in the list before attempting to interface with it, but it's a very simple fix.

Seriously though, fluid properties should be self-populating using the game's existing data tags. Make it happen.
Can not be done as that is a limitation of the current Factorio's API. Have a read here for why. Essentially, most variables stored under the data table is out of scope of all scripts running under control.lua, so what you ask is impossible else I would have done it already.

Udav
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Udav »

How much energy can I get of one set of fuel assemblies with different content of U235 in 75MW and 144MW reactors?
What happening with fuel assemblies after exhaustion of energy?
They disappear or I need unload waste manualy (with inserter) or they will work forever?
What is better to use, Small Heat Exchangers, Large Heat Exchangers or composed of pipes and Heat Exchangers?

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Udav wrote:How much energy can I get of one set of fuel assemblies with different content of U235 in 75MW and 144MW reactors?
Hard to say, but you can figure it out by simple math.

1/Sum up the various combinations of fuel assemblies to get fuel potential.
2/Lookup the reactor performance factor
3/Heat production in J/s = (1) * (2) * 1000000 * 60
4/About 35% of (3) will be electrical energy in J/s

Code: Select all

--Fuel Assembly {type = {Potential Energy Factor, Decay Factor}}
--Potential energy calculated from P(t)=P0e^(rt), where r = ln(2)/6 and P0 =  (1/210)(4/(e^[4r])).  This interestingly reduces to P(t) = 2^((t+2)/6)/105) where t = {t E Z | [4,inf)}
fuelAssembly = {
	["fuel-assembly-01"] = {0.0000, 0.010},
	["fuel-assembly-02"] = {0.0000, 0.009},
	["fuel-assembly-03"] = {0.0000, 0.008},
	["fuel-assembly-04"] = {(2^(6/6))/105, 0.007},
	["fuel-assembly-05"] = {(2^(7/6))/105, 0.006},
	["fuel-assembly-06"] = {(2^(8/6))/105, 0.005},
	["fuel-assembly-07"] = {(2^(9/6))/105, 0.004},
	["fuel-assembly-08"] = {(2^(10/6))/105, 0.003},
	["fuel-assembly-09"] = {(2^(11/6))/105, 0.002},
	["fuel-assembly-10"] = {(2^(12/6))/105, 0.001}
}
--Reactor performance {type= = {Performance Factor, Energy Consumption/tick, Energy Buffer Size, Neutron Economy}}
--Performance Factor is heat output compensation due to fuel decay
--Energy Consumption/tick is in KJ and computed from prototype.energy_consumption/60
--Energy Buffer Size is in KJ and computed from prototype.energy_consumption/60 * 16/15
--Neutron economy is breeding capacity of the reactor
reactorType = {
	["nuclear-fission-reactor-3-by-3"] = {14/3, 1200, 1280, 0.8},
	["nuclear-fission-reactor-5-by-5"] = {175/18, 2400, 2560, 0.8}
}
Udav wrote: What happening with fuel assemblies after exhaustion of energy?
They disappear or I need unload waste manualy (with inserter) or they will work forever?
They last forever at the moment. Fuel decay and reprocessing will be introduced in 0.7. When that is implemented, you will simply use inserters to remove the spent fuel assembly.
Udav wrote: What is better to use, Small Heat Exchangers, Large Heat Exchangers or composed of pipes and Heat Exchangers?
It is personal preference. There isn't a best choice, but there are ineffective choices.

Udav
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Udav »

Thanks for the answer. I could think of to get into the script itself, but thought that you already have all the calculations.

Another fine point:
When I try place reactor in first time, I found that placing and removing the reactor, it is possible to get multiple Access Ports.
Later, I discovered that they can be attached to the same reactor.
If I am not mistaken, it is possible to cram too much Fuel Assemblies into one reactor! This is a bug or a feature?

omega_haxors
Inserter
Inserter

Post by omega_haxors »

Fatmice wrote:
omega_haxors wrote:Line 395 throws an error in control.lua when you attempt to use the heat exchanger on anything other than water or pressurized water. The error reads: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)

Can not be done as that is a limitation of the current Factorio's API. Have a read here for why. Essentially, most variables stored under the data table is out of scope of all scripts running under control.lua, so what you ask is impossible else I would have done it already.
Shame to see such a massive limitation by the API, I suppose it's just a matter of waiting until that gets patched out, if ever.

The best solution in this case is to try and catch if the data is null, and if so, replace it with a hardcoded value (of water would suffice) before doing anything else with it. It would also be great to see some of the big mods' liquids and the oil-based liquids included in the list, but I suppose my own personal editing can suffice for now.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

omega_haxors wrote: Shame to see such a massive limitation by the API, I suppose it's just a matter of waiting until that gets patched out, if ever.

The best solution in this case is to try and catch if the data is null, and if so, replace it with a hardcoded value (of water would suffice) before doing anything else with it. It would also be great to see some of the big mods' liquids and the oil-based liquids included in the list, but I suppose my own personal editing can suffice for now.
If I were to "replace" an unknown fluid with water, then others might say what did I do to their fluid? Worst, they might even think it is a bug. Best just to leave it as is for now and have it throw the exception. That way somebody, like you, will come here to complain ;)
Udav wrote:Thanks for the answer. I could think of to get into the script itself, but thought that you already have all the calculations.

Another fine point:
When I try place reactor in first time, I found that placing and removing the reactor, it is possible to get multiple Access Ports.
Later, I discovered that they can be attached to the same reactor.
If I am not mistaken, it is possible to cram too much Fuel Assemblies into one reactor! This is a bug or a feature?
Cramming assemblies has no ill affect. You won't get more heat from the assemblies than what is necessary to keep the temperature of the fluid at max. The heat production is self-regulating and is much like a nuclear reactor with negative coefficient.

netmc
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by netmc »

I'm trying to learn the mod, as it seems a neat way to power my base instead of solar or boilers. I have a few really basic questions that I hope can be answered.

Is there an updated save game with a sample power plant? I tried loading Uranium_Mod-Example-8.zip, but I get a null exception, and the map closes out as soon as I click ok. I've looked for a mod spotlight on youtube, but haven't had any luck finding one.

how is the fuel assembly for the reactor fuelrods created? I don't see one in the equipment tab anywhere. Is it just a chest set next the reactor? I placed a small reactor, but don't see a fuel input anywhere, although when I placed the reactor, I was told via in-game text to also remember to place the fuel assembly.

With one of the previous comments mentioning that the fuel rods are not currently consumed, so at the moment, once you create enough of the high percentage fuel rods, no more fuel will be needed. Is that correct?

From what I can tell of the enrichment process, 1/2 of the liquid moves up to the next level and 1/2 drop down to the previous level. This is repeated until all the liquid is at one extreme or the other. The .02% is used to make pellets and then turned into ammo. Fuel rods can be made from any enrichment level with more heat energy created with higher enriched fuel rods. Is that right?

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

netmc wrote:I'm trying to learn the mod, as it seems a neat way to power my base instead of solar or boilers. I have a few really basic questions that I hope can be answered.

Is there an updated save game with a sample power plant? I tried loading Uranium_Mod-Example-8.zip, but I get a null exception, and the map closes out as soon as I click ok. I've looked for a mod spotlight on youtube, but haven't had any luck finding one.
Yes, please see my signature or the sticky thread. I will make my own video and post on youtube once I release 0.6.0.
netmc wrote: how is the fuel assembly for the reactor fuelrods created? I don't see one in the equipment tab anywhere. Is it just a chest set next the reactor? I placed a small reactor, but don't see a fuel input anywhere, although when I placed the reactor, I was told via in-game text to also remember to place the fuel assembly.

With one of the previous comments mentioning that the fuel rods are not currently consumed, so at the moment, once you create enough of the high percentage fuel rods, no more fuel will be needed. Is that correct?

From what I can tell of the enrichment process, 1/2 of the liquid moves up to the next level and 1/2 drop down to the previous level. This is repeated until all the liquid is at one extreme or the other. The .02% is used to make pellets and then turned into ammo. Fuel rods can be made from any enrichment level with more heat energy created with higher enriched fuel rods. Is that right?
Fuel rods are made in the assembler with the provided recipes. Fuel assemblies currently do not decay. The chest that you're asked to place is the reactor port, which is where you placed fuel assemblies. The enrichment process is approximately a step-wise half reduction. The fuel assemblies made from more enriched uranium put out more heat. The example build has a complete setup that you can look at.

Udav
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Udav »

After the release of version 0.5.4, enrichment plant built on the basis of 0.5.3 stopped working.
To fix it, not necessarily to destroy it.
Suffice it to rotate chemical plants at 180°, fix the inlet and outlet pipes at both ends of the chain and check the contents of all tubes.

Now place two consecutive reactor (create two Nuclear power plants simultaneously. Do not ask why this is necessary.) I get only one access port. It requires put the first reactor, attach access port, and then put the second reactor.

If you make a blueprint of the reactor block and then use it, building robots do not install Access port.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Udav wrote:After the release of version 0.5.4, enrichment plant built on the basis of 0.5.3 stopped working.
To fix it, not necessarily to destroy it.
Suffice it to rotate chemical plants at 180°, fix the inlet and outlet pipes at both ends of the chain and check the contents of all tubes.
Enrichment built on basis of 0.5.3 under 0.11.22 is actually the reverse of what intended because 0.11.22 had a fluidbox code patch that I wasn't aware of until today. Sorry you had to flip your enrichment designs, but I needed to make changes to accommodate my example build.
Udav wrote: Now place two consecutive reactor (create two Nuclear power plants simultaneously. Do not ask why this is necessary.) I get only one access port. It requires put the first reactor, attach access port, and then put the second reactor.
You get only one access port per reactor. Placing a second reactor will not get you another reactor port until the first reactor has been linked with an access port.
Udav wrote: If you make a blueprint of the reactor block and then use it, building robots do not install Access port.
Reactors can not be blueprinted. This is intentional.

LordDalis
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by LordDalis »

Where can we make suggestions? I have a few ideas for near end or end game power

Return to “Atomic Power”