optimize low hanging fruits from pumps

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

burner
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

optimize low hanging fruits from pumps

Post by burner »

After lot of own tests and reading articles looks that pumps are not optimized wery well. And looks that there may have some low hanging fruits to do.
A) pumps take cpu time even they are not powered. I assume that this would be easiest thing to fix.
b) pumps take same cpu time even they are not doing any job. This is not so easy than A but with inserters there is idle lists what reduce checks when there was no work to do at last time? How about add this same feature to pumps so that if no fluid was moving at tick it will move pump to idle list and do recheck only once at n tick.
c) circuit network connected pump use ~4x more cpu than no connection. With inserters circuit connection allow save some time by disabling inserters. With pumps this work opposite way. So maybe there is some work to do.

Yes at normal bases pumps are not issue. But with seablocks mega bases current pumps are most time consuming thing at whole game.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: optimize low hanging fruits from pumps

Post by Rseding91 »

I'd be interested to look at your save file. Can you post it here? Or in google drive, one drive, or dropbox/something.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

burner
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: optimize low hanging fruits from pumps

Post by burner »

Here
https://nc.fsol.fi/s/NgTE3L3sCPpZ5ae
It is sea blocks base. I also made rar of current mods and capture some performance statistics.

Here is article what I start read after I start struggle with fps/ups
https://www.reddit.com/r/technicalfacto ... er_60_ups/

And as you see that base does not follow that quide at all (yet at least) :) But at least we managed to remove 5000 pumps from nuclear power plant so it does not lag so much any more.
But we also add power switch to nuclear plant so we can switch off base every time when we want add land to sea :)

CPU ryzen 9 3900x
mem 64GB 3000Mhz
gpu 1070

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”