"Turrets engaed" icons hide "Entity damaged/destroyed" on map

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

evg-zhabotinsky
Inserter
Inserter

"Turrets engaed" icons hide "Entity damaged/destroyed" on map

Post by evg-zhabotinsky »

What I did:
Placed "crowds" of laser turrets. They get attacked from time to time, sometimes damaged or even destroyed.
Expected behavior:
Notifications show up in tray and on map, more "bad" ones hiding less "bad" ones if necessary, i.e. "Destroyed" covers "Damaged" covers "Engaged"
What actually happened:
Notifications in tray behave as expected, "Destroyed" icon being prioritized over "Damaged" over "Engaged".
On the map, however, "Engaged" icons seem to always cover the more critical ones.

Many groups of turrets got attacked at once (artillery range research finished) and started blinking yellow. Then it started beeping about many turrets getting destroyed, but everything stayed yelow on map. Red icons became visible only briefly, yellows disappearing only a moment before them. Until then, it was hard to see which of the outposts was having trouble. Of course I could zoom in close to see all individual icons without overlapping, but that is not very convenient, the outposts are many.

Edit:
Took a closer look today, and turns out that at least the "always" part is only correct for when hovering over the notification in tray. When not doing so, red map icons are indeed visible above yellows.
However, at the convenient zoom level those icons are so tiny that you can't really see them, and hovering over tray notification to enlarge them leads to the problem described.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: "Turrets engaed" icons hide "Entity damaged/destroyed" on map

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however we don't provide any specific ordering for alert types. They are simply shown in the order they're created. Moving to ideas and suggestions.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

evg-zhabotinsky
Inserter
Inserter

Re: "Turrets engaed" icons hide "Entity damaged/destroyed" on map

Post by evg-zhabotinsky »

Sorry for my lag, my forum notifications were broken.
Rseding91 wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:07 pm
They are simply shown in the order they're created.
Either that isn't quite the case, or the "Engaged" notifications get re-created over and over again, giving no chance to the destruction notifications.

And in the tray, these notifications DO get ordered correctly, you only see "Entities destroyed" icon and counter when there are any, "Entities damaged" and "Turrets engaged" always get hidden except in the tooltip. Same with "Construction robots/materials missing" notifications, robot shortage is prioritized (in tray, on map they are piled together).

An extra note on notification priorities:
At least "Programmable speaker" notifications in the tray get prioritized in a very weird way. Only the oldest active notification icon seems to be shown, but when a speaker gets DEactivated its notification gets priority until it times out. I differentiate my speaker notifications mostly by sound.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”