Restart - UI, same seed option

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Mskvaer
Inserter
Inserter

Restart - UI, same seed option

Post by Mskvaer »

TLDR
"Restart" with same seed (or not)
WHAT
The current "Restart" menu option generates a new map, although with the same parameters. I'd like it with the same seed as well, i.e. it is identical in layout. I presume biters start the same place, but are like me free to "expand differently"
WHY
I interpreted the noun "Restart" as exactly that, with everything the same (like the movies "Groundhog day" or "Edge of Tomorrow"), but found out the map is generated anew.

I can achive this by three different ways, but it would be a real nice if this was easier.
  • Write down the seed. The start a new game with same map parameters, and enter the same seed
  • Save the game immediatly after start. Save the game again, but with a differnet name, which is used thereafter.
  • Add "save replay", then instead of restart, start a replay, stop it immediatly and resume play (method breaks after a patch/update).
None of my business, but ...
Put a "restart with same seed" checkbox next to the "replay" checkbox, thus defining the "restart"-mode to be a total restart. Alternativly the menu has two buttons: "New restart" and "Same Restart".
+---+
| M | (now 2000+ hours)
+---+

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Restart - UI, same seed option

Post by ptx0 »

Mskvaer wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:34 pm
TLDR
"Restart" with same seed (or not)
NewGame Plus mod can do this and more!

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Restart - UI, same seed option

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

+1. I had also assumed that it worked that way when I first saw it.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”