Allow longer server names on the public server list

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Hornwitser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Allow longer server names on the public server list

Post by Hornwitser »

TL;DR
Allow the names of servers in the public server list to be longer before getting chopped off.
What ?
Currently the limit for a server name is 50 bytes when encoded as UTF-8, and names longer than this limit is chopped off, I suggest increasing it to be much longer.
Why ?
Very few people seems to be aware of this limit and I've yet to see it documented anywhere. This limit is really short and I often see large event servers with the name chopped off in the server list because the admins weren't aware of the limit, for example:

Code: Select all

[color=red]✧COMFY+BCG✧[/color] Minesweeper EVE - 71 players (should have been EVENT)
[color=red]Red-Circuit[/color] Operation Red Molte - 289 players (should have been Molten Silicone)
Break 500!  KatherineOfSky & Caledorn Community MM - 521 players (should have been MMO)
Even the example name in server-settings.example.json is 54 bytes long, and might give a false impression on the length of names the field allows in the public server list.

For a specific example on how limiting the 50 byte limit on the name is you can take a look at ExposiveGaming.NL's server names. They use the atomic bomb technology icon in their names, which is [technology=atomic-bomb] or 24 characters, now if they put ExplosiveGaming.NL which is 18 characters into the server name, plus three spaces and a dash they would have 50 - 24 - 18 - 4 = 4 characters left for the name of the specific server.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”