Rivers and Boats

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

MrWhiteBloodCells
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Rivers and Boats

Post by MrWhiteBloodCells »

Rivers that can generate alongside lakes plus hydroelectricity and boats to ride.

It'd be cool if there were rivers that could generate as bodies of water aside from lakes, and they of course would flow from point A to point B. There could also be rideable boats that maybe could be an alternative transport to cars and trains (they could carry the player and significant cargo). Maybe there could also be different kinds of boats, from sailboats they move based off some kind of wind/current, to proper motorboats that consume fuel.

The aforementioned wind/current would also allow for new renewable power alternatives to solar power: hydroelectricity and wind power.

Maybe there could even be massive oceans that would make way for big cargo ships to be added in order to move items across the sea

There could also be some kind of resource exclusive to bodies of water, but idrk what that would be or what it would do.

Additionally, instead of pollution travelling uniformly away from a source of pollution as it does now, if a source of pollution were placed near a river, then the river would carry the pollution downstream, polluting a massive area around it as it travels if you aren't careful!

Even if none of these ideas are implemented, I do still think that water in general should receive some kind of massive overhaul. As of right now, it only exists in the game as an obstacle, and as a niche resource only really used for early game electricity, concrete, and some chem. plant recipes. I feel like water could have very fun impacts on gameplay in factorio and that my ideas would be a good way to implement that.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Rivers and Boats

Post by ssilk »

This is one of such post, that can’t be discussed usefully, because it’s not posting one idea per thread.

Please use the suggestion template to make further suggestions: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47316

Additionally I point to older suggestions about rivers and boats:

viewtopic.php?f=80&t=13022 World Generation / Map Generator / Game Modes / Scenarios / Biomes

viewtopic.php?f=80&t=14024 Travel over Water: Boats, Ships, Canus / Bridges / Tunnels
With a very long link-list at the end of first page

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=59116 Make use of bodies of water
Also with a long link-list.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32603 Rivers
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61342 Adding rivers to the map generation
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3255 A little bit about water
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=53731 Hydroelectric Dams and Rivers
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=56511 Idea - rivers and DAMS

Related:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2702 Airplanes
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50000&p=290496&hili ... 2A#p290496 Biomes?

There are also old mods: https://mods.factorio.com/query/River/d ... ersion=any
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”