Rail Signals

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Apocalypse
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Rail Signals

Post by Apocalypse »

The rail signals need something like an "end-signal" where the signal stops blocking the whole route. ATM you can do this with another signal... which means you have to put signals all over your route if you want multiple trains on one it.

i hope you know what i mean :D if not... try to read my paint skillz :P
Attachments
factorio_rail_signals.png
factorio_rail_signals.png (9.06 KiB) Viewed 17399 times

rk84
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Rail Signals

Post by rk84 »

hmm signal that allows multiple trains in block. Bit risky if train stops for some reason in that block or if exit of the block is blocked.

Mayby if you could place signals by dragging or some kind of automatic system could help here.

ps. I want multi platform station and presignals :D
Test mode
Searching Flashlight
[WIP]Fluid handling expansion
[WIP]PvP gamescript
[WIP]Rocket Express
Autofill: The torch has been pass to Nexela

Apocalypse
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Apocalypse »

ps. I want multi platform station and presignals
Thats a nice idea too.

I got one more: Repair-rails which repairs the locomotive/wagon standing on the rail (or something like this) -> I have often the problem that my train kills some creeper and then he is damaged and i have to compleatle replace him.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

rk84 wrote: ps. I want multi platform station and presignals :D
Shouldn't multi-platform stations be possible with station grouping?
presignals - perhaps, but how would the train respond to them? I though it can insta-stop...

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Apocalypse wrote:The rail signals need something like an "end-signal" where the signal stops blocking the whole route. ATM you can do this with another signal... which means you have to put signals all over your route if you want multiple trains on one it.
Hmm.. I guess there should be a "un-managed rail marker" building.
Real-world rails don't have those, because rails are more saturated and trains don't run on high-precision timers.

Those would be pretty dangerous if we had a way how to dispatch a train on demand (not on timer), but I think that players should be allowed to let their trains crash if they want to.

I wouldn't dare call them "end of a signal", because signal is a structure at one point.
It could be a "segment end marker", though.

The purpose of that thing would be always allowing trains in and letting them crash if they have bad timing.

Apocalypse
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Apocalypse »

The purpose of that thing would be always allowing trains in and letting them crash if they have bad timing.
I see this as a challange to create the perfect train-network :D

what i would do with this thing:
factorio_rail_signals_2.png
factorio_rail_signals_2.png (2.31 MiB) Viewed 17378 times
AND... i got another idea:

Signals which work like the "inteligent inserters" -> if x < y (or y > x or whatever you want) and the rail is free then turn the signal to green.

rk84
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by rk84 »

MF- wrote: Shouldn't multi-platform stations be possible with station grouping?
presignals - perhaps, but how would the train respond to them? I though it can insta-stop...
I forgot station grouping was in.

by presignals I meant same kind of system as in ottd. Entry, exit and combo signal. Entry is red if block has train or all exits are red. Exit signal works like normal. Combo signal is exit signal that works also as entry to next block.
Test mode
Searching Flashlight
[WIP]PvP gamescript
[WIP]Rocket Express

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

A really nice station above is that...
Hm. I wouldn't like that (sorry) because this so much against everything I learned about handling trains, that it could come only from someone, who never worked or played with it. :) Again sorry, if I'm wrong with my guess. I wouldn't offend anybody.
And to be constructive: it could be learned. In transport tycoon deluxe (I really recommend that) you just set more signals, or you build a second rail. Sometimes the rails have to be moved to place a signal.

http://www.tycoongames.net/introduction.html

I recommend that as reference for everything whith the trains, signals, rails etc. because in this game is surely about 10-20 years manpower and they are experts. I didn't say that everything should be like tcd, but introducing things, which don't exist in reality is for a game like factorio not good.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Apocalypse wrote: Signals which work like the "inteligent inserters" -> if x < y (or y > x or whatever you want) and the rail is free then turn the signal to green.
The devs said they want this as well, but for some reason it didn't get implemented.
I guess it caused too much trouble? :(

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

rk84 wrote: by presignals I meant same kind of system as in ottd. Entry, exit and combo signal. Entry is red if block has train or all exits are red. Exit signal works like normal. Combo signal is exit signal that works also as entry to next block.
What would an end signal signal? I doubt there is no reason for such thing to be more than the already-proposed unmanaged-segment-marker / "traffic sign"
Why do you need to differentiate between combo and entry signals? I don't see a difference (with the way how it works in factorio)

rk84
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by rk84 »

MF- wrote: What would an end signal signal? I doubt there is no reason for such thing to be more than the already-proposed unmanaged-segment-marker / "traffic sign"
Why do you need to differentiate between combo and entry signals? I don't see a difference (with the way how it works in factorio)
I dunno about end signal,but exit signal is designated exit for entry signal. Entry signal ignores exits with normal signals. http://wiki.openttd.org/Signals#Pre-signals

Combo is used to build presignal "tree". If you got block with multiple exits, you can split it with combo to smaller blocks so trains get to enter faster.
http://wiki.openttd.org/Advanced_signal ... ed_station
Test mode
Searching Flashlight
[WIP]PvP gamescript
[WIP]Rocket Express

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Yes, I know presignals from open ttd and we will plan implement it, it really shouldn't be hard.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

rk84 wrote: I dunno about end signal,but exit signal is designated exit for entry signal. Entry signal ignores exits with normal signals. http://wiki.openttd.org/Signals#Pre-signals

Combo is used to build presignal "tree". If you got block with multiple exits, you can split it with combo to smaller blocks so trains get to enter faster.
http://wiki.openttd.org/Advanced_signal ... ed_station
Aha, that link finally explains what do you want.
That would be nice and useful.

All those "special" signals are regular signals + added functionality.
So the Exit signal is simply signaling as a regular signal, but also marks itself to be considered by presignals, sending 0/1 upstream.

PS: I definitely want to see trains used at a scale that would benefit from this.
PPS: I wonder whether it would be possible to slip a circuit-network-control feature into this feature :) (sry, that was /definitely/ pushy)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

My experience with open ttd was, that the "path signals" hits all other signals. They where simple and created most times the best/fastes behaviour without crashes.

http://wiki.openttd.org/Signals#Path_Signals
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”