I wish the concept of "heat" and "pollution" could be reworked.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

adamwong246
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

I wish the concept of "heat" and "pollution" could be reworked.

Post by adamwong246 »

I was thinking about all the factorio clones out there and it made me thing that what if

- Instead of pollution, all your machines radiate heat, which makes them more inefficient. Sort of the way nuclear reactors get a "bonus" by being close together, but where most machines get a debuf for overheating. On of the main goals then is to shuttle the heat out of your factory and down into heat sinks.

- Instead of pollution attracting biters, they are governed by the waste products your factory inevitably produces in abundance. Instead of "a red cloud", biters are driven by the toxic byproducts that you have to sequester.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: I wish the concept of "heat" and "pollution" could be reworked.

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

Sounds like something for mods.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

starlinvf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starlinvf »

Unless you're giving players a way to deal with heat, all you're doing is ruining compact design as an option. It also directly affects how beacons are used, and would demand they be addressed as well. If heat mitigation takes up a lot of space on-site, you're basically forcing players to eat more real estate just to upscale a factory. It also snowballs into more expensive infrastructure on a foundational level. Theres a reason electrical networks were made as simple to use as they are.

- Instead of pollution attracting biters, they are governed by the waste products your factory inevitably produces in abundance. Instead of "a red cloud", biters are driven by the toxic byproducts that you have to sequester.
so basically you just described pollution again.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

starlinvf wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:26 pm
so basically you just described pollution again.
Except maybe if it were possible to sequester the toxic byproducts where you want, instead of where they are produced.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

adamwong246
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by adamwong246 »

Except maybe if it were possible to sequester the toxic byproducts where you want, instead of where they are produced.
Yes, the scenario leads to a lot of interesting ways to manage waste.
- Sequestering it far from your base, but you still need to defend it because biters will attack it
- Saving up the waste and then releasing into the air as "pollution".
- Refining it into it's most dense form and truly destroying the waste, by launching it on the rocket.

Where "Waste" is useless byproducts and "pollution" is the "red cloud".

adamwong246
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by adamwong246 »

It also occurs to me that you could use the waste as a weapons payload. Load your waste into a rocket to make pollution missiles that antagonize biters but cause no damage. Put it in an artillery shell to launch pollution clouds to the far end of the map, drawing the biters away from your factory. Or launch it at a enemy base, to draw biters towards your enemies.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”