Would it be possible to make it harder to take off armor?

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Would it be possible to make it harder to take off armor?

Post by eradicator »

ssilk wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:57 am
And the solution is simple: Either pressing F and run around for some seconds or use the destruction manager and filter for items on ground.
F isn't feasible when belts are near, and how do you set up a decon planner if your inventory is completely full - you need to rclick it to open its settings. And even then it requires bots and oh...you just took your armor off! And now all your stuff is being sucked into some random logistics network. Not nearly as "simple" as you say ;). Maybe some day factorio will just have built-in armor-layout switching which would make the problem a real edge case.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

ssilk wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:57 am
Sorry, multiplayer was a bad comparison. But even I play: “oh no I did it again”, and I smile what mess I did.

And the solution is simple: Either pressing F and run around for some seconds or use the destruction manager and filter for items on ground.
Right, and if it were a one-time thing that's easy to avoid, I wouldn't even have brought it up.
Think of the hidden inventory in the crafting queue: what to do with the inventory when the player aborts?
I see that as different, because it's a direct consequence of choosing to take advantage of intermediate crafting. I've never done that and had items spill and thought it wasn't my fault. For me, it usually happens when I want to cancel some manual crafting in order to prioritize some other manual crafting. The solution is simply to cancel-and-recraft one-by-one (or five-by-five, whatever) so my inventory doesn't get filled up. I figure it's my fault for manually crafting in a game about automation. :D

It's also usually not an immediate thing: I can see my inventory filling up as I cancel crafting, until eventually it fills up to where items spill if I let it.

Whereas with the armor, it's (a) immediate: I remove it and it's too late, and (b) it's never something I meant to do.
What is more important: changing to the power suit with less inventory but more fire power or forbid player to change , because he will loose items?
To me this seems an unlikely case, but I agree that it would be weird to prevent it because of that. But it's also a different case from completely removing the armor. This is a case where you're intentionally switching armor even though you know that they have different inventory sizes.

I do like a couple of ideas made above:
  • Make the added inventory part of the research instead of part of the armor, the way Toolbelt already works.
  • Or permanently increase inventory the first time inventory-creasing armor is put on, so that the inventory never gets smaller.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Inventory research: we had that already, before devs switched it to power armor.

Well, not against this suggestion, but also not convinced, that this will be changed. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

jader201
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Add keyboard binding for armor dialog

Post by jader201 »

Searched the forum, and surprised I couldn't find someone already suggesting this, but...

Am I the only one that would find a keyboard shortcut for opening the armor dialog really handy? How is this not already a thing?

I have two issues with only being able to right-click the armor suit icon to open the dialog:

1) I often need to hotswap my exoskeleton for laser defense when scouting to thin out enemy nests

2) I (embarrassingly) too frequently accidentally left-click it instead, dropping all my leftover inventory on the ground

So I'm just asking for some keyboard mapping to open this dialog.

Or, maybe also (or alternatively) add it to the character dialog (for those that have enough room for it).

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older thread with same suggestion.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”