Inserter Speed Small Changes

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

cooldino
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Inserter Speed Small Changes

Post by cooldino »

TL;DR
Inserter ticks per rotation should be changed to multiples of 24.
What ?
Inserter speeds are somewhat chaotic at 100, 72, 50, 26 ticks per rotation https://wiki.factorio.com/Inserters#Inserter_speed
It produces incongruencies with stats of stack/fast inserters. They have 864 degrees per second which would math out to be 25 ticks per rotation, however in game it comes out to 26 ticks, I assume due to requiring inserters to take the same time to go back and forth.
I suggest inserters speeds to be changed to 96, 72, 48, 24.
Why ?
Stack inserters have 2x the rotation speed as long inserters (864 vs 432) so they should have half the ticks per rotation.
Inserter speeds should also be changed to improve neatness of arithmetic and to remove the aforementioned 25 - 26 math inconsistency.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Inserter Speed Small Changes

Post by jodokus31 »

I think the game profits from some uneven ratios. So nothing "should" be changed, but it "could" be changed.

cooldino
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by cooldino »

I understand the "game profits from some uneven ratios;" this makes sense.
My secondary suggestion was to change the speeds so that stack inserters swing exactly twice as much as long inserters since the rotation speeds (864/432 = 2) would make it seem that this should be the case.
How about this?

Yoyobuae
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Yoyobuae »

cooldino wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:39 am
They have 864 degrees per second which would math out to be 25 ticks per rotation, however in game it comes out to 26 ticks, I assume due to requiring inserters to take the same time to go back and forth.
When picking from a chest, the inserter will make two motions of 180 degrees each. With rotation speed of 864/s, each such motion takes 13 ticks, thus 26 for a "full rotation". Each 180 degree motion "wastes" half a tick of rotation. With rotation speed of 432/s, each motion takes exactly 25 ticks with no rotation "wasted".

All of the above goes out the window when inserters pick from belts.

To implement the changes suggested in OP the new speeds should be: 900/s, 450/s, 300/s, 225/s

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

+1. Nice multiples never hurt anyone.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”