Prevent stutering at all times (facing belts).

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

theMightyMan
Inserter
Inserter

Prevent stutering at all times (facing belts).

Post by theMightyMan »

TL;DR
Currently when you stand on facing belts you jump between them, this is intended behaviour and I propose that this behaviour should be changed.
What ?
The issue outlined in viewtopic.php?f=23&t=66489 is intended, but it is also really annoying.

For detail viewtopic.php?f=23&t=66489 and viewtopic.php?f=47&t=91295 should illustrate that current behaviour and what could be improved.
Why ?
This happening is just an artifact of that games are just a simulation with ticks and that makes them not perfect. You can jump from one belt to the other even though the other moved the opposing direction.
Of course we cant create a perfect simulation without ticks, we try to keep ourselves sane somehow. But just like you try to make the water simulations as close to real life as possible withing the limitations, you should try to work within the limits of the system to make movement as realistic as possible (just like how you don't glitch into a wall when you run into it).
This might be "intended behaviour" and when the game was in early stages of development and not looking at polish this is very reasonable as, who _really_ cares. But once you encounter this the polished feel starts to fall down a bit. A polished game shouldn't have stuttering as intended behaviour as it is just not a nice experience.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Prevent stutering at all times (facing belts).

Post by Deadlock989 »

Pretty sure the answer was "no". Twice.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:13 pm
Pretty sure the answer was "no". Twice.
I don't mind requests for polish being put here. Due to the "company culture" of there should not be any unsorted or assigned bug reports before new major update is released, or before experimental version can be made stable, we have kind of strict view on what are and are not bugs.

theMightyMan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by theMightyMan »

Well the answer "no" was to "is this a bug". Not to "wouldn't this be good to have".
From what I saw from that forum the requirements for "bug" are indeed pretty strict and if it was indeed intended behaviour is was indeed not, strictly speaking, a bug. The only reason given for why it was "not a bug" was that it was intended behaviour.

It's not that I disagree heavily with the "not a bug" labeling, but that doesn't mean that I don't think the behaviour should be changed (and I hope others do too).
The bug forum is not the right place to discuss behaviour changes, so I moved it to a place where I thought bahviour changes should go.

EDIT:
I would also like to add then when this was first labeled as not a bug, the game was stil in 0.17. It has been a while and from reading the FFF the development has shifted a lot to polishing instead of rapid development. I have noticed this since a looong time, but I didnt feel like it was the time for this kind of polishing and would only put pressure on the developers. It is not 1.0 already, with 1.1 comming up, and I think it is important to have things be polishes if possible.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”