Persistent toolbar and logistics settings

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

KoblerMan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Persistent toolbar and logistics settings

Post by KoblerMan »

What...?
You ever play Factorio? :)

You ever play Factorio and use the toolbar? :)

You ever play Factorio and use the toolbar, then finish your game or jump into a new game, and realize that you have to redo your settings all over again? :)

If you're anything like me, this is just extra steps to you, and a major annoyance. In fact it's such an annoyance to me that I don't bother to set up the toolbar in 90% of games that I play, and just shuffle around with my inventory. :D
Alright, great. How should we fix this?
Simple: store the player's toolbar and logistics auto trash/request preferences in a .ini file in the %appdata% directory. Every time a new game starts, or the player joins a new world, call a function which reads the .ini file and sets up your toolbar and logistics prefs for you. This is already how the game stores the player's blueprints, so it's not a far cry.
That's cool and everything... but why should we do that?
I dunno about you guys, but I would rather spend more time playing the game than dedicate 10 minutes after each major research milestone to set up my hotbar, and 15 minutes each time when hitting logistics network tech to set up my auto trash and auto request. This is like half an hour total each game just to configure everything the same way that you've done in past games.

Essentially, this is one big QoL improvement that has been missing since the implementation of these new systems.
TL;DR:
Make toolbar settings and logistics request and auto trash settings persistent across all playthroughs. Accomplish this by storing the data in a file in the %appdata% directory, like player blueprint storage.
ImageImage
System Specs
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X (@~3.8 gHz)
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080
RAM: 32GB DDR4 (2400)
DRIVES: 2x 1TB NVMe SSD, 1x 6TB HDD

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Persistent toolbar and logistics settings

Post by Squelch »

A global and persistent settings file would be great, but kept in the configuration location as specified by the player in config-path.ini rather than solely %appdata%

I do like to have different settings depending on the map and mod combination I'm playing, so as well as a global preferences, a per map/save series set of preferences and mod-list.json stored in a subfolder under /saves along with the actual saves would be most welcome.

KoblerMan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by KoblerMan »

Squelch wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:15 pm
A global and persistent settings file would be great, but kept in the configuration location as specified by the player in config-path.ini rather than solely %appdata%

I do like to have different settings depending on the map and mod combination I'm playing, so as well as a global preferences, a per map/save series set of preferences and mod-list.json stored in a subfolder under /saves along with the actual saves would be most welcome.
Yeah that makes sense. My thought was that you would only need one global setting, but that also doesn't account for mods, etc.
ImageImage
System Specs

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

I think I’d rather have an export/import system, so that I can easily sync them on multiplayer servers.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

KoblerMan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by KoblerMan »

AmericanPatriot wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:56 pm
I think I’d rather have an export/import system, so that I can easily sync them on multiplayer servers.
Yeah, this is a good idea. Though if the setting is stored locally in a file, you should be able to copy/paste that file and share it around. I agree though, having a system like the blueprints where you can export it to string would be great.
ImageImage
System Specs

MassiveDynamic
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MassiveDynamic »

I think we should add this suggestion to all the other similar suggestions that ask the devs to take all the play elements out of the game. I suggest factorio plays itself autonomously and we, the players, simply watch and eat popcorn. I mean come on, everyone hates the early game with all that walking and manual crafting, so shouldn't the game just start with bots? Then blueprints are a pain to deal with. Go online, find somebody's blueprint, download it, let the bots fill it in and then realize that it doesn't include a 5000000 GW power plant. Back to google. Repeat all those steps again. What about the hassle of those darn beacons. It would be better if they affected a larger area so that I wouldn't have to think about how to maximize my production. The list goes on. I think we shouldn't have to do anything at all that requires thought or effort. Come on devs, this game is unplayable.

-The above comments are made while holding my tongue firmly in my cheek. Just kidding guys.

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Squelch »

MassiveDynamic wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:49 pm
Just kidding guys.
:lol:

Go sit on a cactus. You had me for a moment,.

KoblerMan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by KoblerMan »

MassiveDynamic wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:49 pm
I suggest factorio plays itself autonomously and we, the players, simply watch and eat popcorn.
Yes, this is the best suggestion I've ever seen for Factorio. For a game so focused on automation, it's only a matter of time before the community suggests the game should automate itself!

Hey, wait a minute...
ImageImage
System Specs

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Please people, keep this on topic
So far, there have been very related suggestions for :
Quickbar export/import
Auto trash settinfs export/import
"Everything that makes sense" export/import

Couldn't get my hand on the suggestion for the logistic requests, despite I'm sure I've seen it somewhere.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

KoblerMan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by KoblerMan »

Koub wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:22 am
So far, there have been very related suggestions for :
Quickbar export/import
Auto trash settinfs export/import
"Everything that makes sense" export/import

Couldn't get my hand on the suggestion for the logistic requests, despite I'm sure I've seen it somewhere.
Well, I think this feature could save a lot of time and energy, and I really don't see a downside to it.
ImageImage
System Specs

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the "add mechanisms for exporting/importing settings for everything that makes sense", I just provided the links to these other suggestions because I felt they're somehow related to this thread, an for the readers to have a better overview on the subject.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

KoblerMan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by KoblerMan »

Koub wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:25 pm
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the "add mechanisms for exporting/importing settings for everything that makes sense", I just provided the links to these other suggestions because I felt they're somehow related to this thread, an for the readers to have a better overview on the subject.
Yeah I'm aware. :)

I wonder if this functionality could be modded in? I'm not a modder so I wouldn't know. The only "mods" I've ever made are changing some default values in config files, like making all of the guns much deadlier in HL2.
ImageImage
System Specs

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”