Locomotive and Rail System

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Avi0627
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Locomotive and Rail System

Post by Avi0627 »

Locomotive and Rail
Redesign in technological level the current locomotive and railing system.
What ?
Current Locomotive change as below:
Primitive Fuel Locomotive (Speed 1): Locomotive that can MANUALLY transport items and can be fueled by coal, wood, solid fuel
Advanced Fuel Locomotive (Speed 1.2): Locomotive that can MANUALLY and* AUTOMATICALLY transport items and can be fueled by rocket, atomic fuels
Electric Locomotive (Speed 1): Locomotive that can MANUALLY and *AUTOMATICALLY transport items and requires rails that have sufficient electricity supply.

Current Rail change as below:
Wooden Rail (this is in the game right now) 75% Top Speed: Usable by Primitive Fuel Locomotive and Advanced Fuel Locomotive
Concrete Rail 100% Top Speed: Usable by Primitive Fuel Locomotive and Advanced Fuel Locomotive
Magnetic Rail 200% Top Speed: Usable by Electric Locomotive, requires electric pole or Blue Station nearby

Current Rail Station change as below:
Yellow Rail Station: Requires no electricity, trains cannot be automated at this station
Red Rail Station (this is in the game right now): Requires Electricity and trains can be automated here
Blue Rail Station: Requires Electricity and trains can be automated here, supplies rails (30 - 30 rails away) with electricity without electric pole next to rails

Cargo Wagon change as below:
Filter Wagon: Separates the whole Wagon into 3 equal space for multiple item transfer (eg, 1/3th of the Wagon is carriing Iron, another 1/3th is Steel, etc)
Whole Wagon: no change here. It is in the game already.

New building:
Wagon Unloader (Yellow, Red, Blue respectively based on unload speed (should be the speed of 2.2 Inserter of the same color): This is a 4 by 2 space taker that can be built near stations over the rails to unload cargo in 1 or the other direction. (should be
programmable with 1 condition [if this side is full, unload to other side? Yes/No]) This can unload to belts both side for 2 belts (basically it can make 2 belts full, unloading 4 + stack inserter bonus at a time). CAN unload into CHESTS!

Why ?
Mostly because more % of the players either does not mod the game or cannot. Most players want simplicity or more complexity. These changes feed everyone all-together.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Locomotive and Rail System

Post by ssilk »

Thank you for this. My first thought: Your suggestion just adds complexity (instead of one system that can be extended you have 3 or 4 slightly different systems), but has low impact to the game-play (still trains, that transport stuff from a to b).

I need also to point at the pure number of mods for loco/rail. From electric trains to early access, to separate systems: all available and most in quite stable form.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Avi0627
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Avi0627 »

I don't agree with you.This might be available in some mod in some way. But my point was to allow players with vanilla flexibility to have these and also, many players don't know how to mod and so they just skip it altogether. Complexity: Players need to evolve the logistics system same as inserters and belts. Simplicity: once you reach the electric model, you can leave out fueling (and focus on energy).

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

Not that installing a mod is in any way difficult.

Like ssilk said before, your suggestions would add stuff to trains without really changing anything fundemental.
Besides what would I use manual only locomotives and rails out of a resource I can not automate for?
The compartmentalized cargo wagon is only one with filters.
Using nuclear-fueled trains ist that much more convenient and easier to upgrade to, than having to electrify your whole train network (still great mod though).
Any of this stuffs belongs in the modding realm. E.g. the (train) loaders for UPS saving in Megabases.

edit: grammer
Last edited by conn11 on Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Avi0627
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Avi0627 »

I see, understand your point.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”