Wired lamps

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

timCopwell
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Wired lamps

Post by timCopwell »

TL;DR
Ability to power lamps via copper wire.
What ?
Simply this.
Make possible to connect a single lamp to the pole via copper wire as alternative to placing it inside its supply area, but limiting to the wire reach of the pole you're connecting to.
Why ?
  • As small feature this is, it would make your base look much more clear in many places removing unnecessary poles you placed just for a single lamp to add. Also providing a clearer look to your light signals or pixel art, idk. One might say just use substation instead, but the cost difference would be huge.
  • Being an exception to electricity mechanic it remains balance still, since lamps don't affect any production they simply let you see more clear.

ThreePounds
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Wired lamps

Post by ThreePounds »

firstly, lamps are special in the way they are handled by the electric network to account for their rolling start and shutdown each night. So this might not behave like you'd intent right off the bat.

Secondly, wouldn't that make the lamp the only entity unrelated to the electric network itself to accept copper wire connections? That would be rather strange.

You could as well use this argument for any other electricity powered entity, for example laser turrets, inserters and mining drills.

Since copper wire is essentially free due to blueprints this would totally change how the electric network funtions.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

timCopwell wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:27 am
Make possible to connect a single lamp to the pole via copper wire as alternative to placing it inside its supply area, but limiting to the wire reach of the pole you're connecting to.
It's possible to make it as a mod, but all lamps in the electric power pole powered area will be steel powered.

Just hidden power pole under the lamp with powered area 1x1.

timCopwell
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by timCopwell »

ThreePounds wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:44 am
firstly, lamps are special in the way they are handled by the electric network to account for their rolling start and shutdown each night. So this might not behave like you'd intent right off the bat.
I'm not sure how factorio manages entity power states, but probably via an variable like "pluged" or "powered", so how they should behave differently if this method probably would simulate being inside poles range.
ThreePounds wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:44 am
Secondly, wouldn't that make the lamp the only entity unrelated to the electric network itself to accept copper wire connections? That would be rather strange.

You could as well use this argument for any other electricity powered entity, for example laser turrets, inserters and mining drills.
Yes it would. Therefore I named it exception. Turrets and inserters are highly used entities and having same mechanic applied to those would break/ remake electricity system. How it is now is designed to minimize wiring gameplay and it's perfectly fine. Imagine connecting each of 1000 inserters manualy with a wire, it's madness. What I suggest is more designed for fine tuning and alternative for nothing but lamps, since they don't affect core gameplay aspects.

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by netmand »

Does the proposed include the auto-wiring that all power distribution items have?

timCopwell
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by timCopwell »

netmand wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:52 pm
Does the proposed include the auto-wiring that all power distribution items have?
probably not since it would harm the default powering method. I see it as a neat semi-secret feature kinda like you can manually cut and place wires on poles by clicking with wire on them.
when i first time found that feature I was very surprised and since then it helps to keep my base as much cleaner place.
hope this one does the same job.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

timCopwell wrote:
TL;DR
Try this one:
:arrow:
WiredLamps_1.0.0.zip
(54.27 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
2020-09-03T19_46_46-Factorio 1.0.0.png
2020-09-03T19_46_46-Factorio 1.0.0.png (857.67 KiB) Viewed 3580 times
Last edited by darkfrei on Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

If you use mods, here's an option:

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/LightedPolesPlus

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by netmand »

timCopwell wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:28 pm
netmand wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:52 pm
probably not since it would harm the default powering method. I see it as a neat semi-secret feature kinda like you can manually cut and place wires on poles by clicking with wire on them.
when i first time found that feature I was very surprised and since then it helps to keep my base as much cleaner place.
hope this one does the same job.
hmm. that sounds a bit limited, requiring more work since you need to lay the light then wire it up with copper cable.
with power poles you don't need to carry around copper cable in your inventory; it is automatically wired as a part of the build.
and with power poles you can do long runs easily. without automatic wiring, laying multiple lights would need to be blueprinted as a pattern of lights pre-wired which isn't as flexible (i.e. it couldn't follow curves of any curvature).

if you're just looking to use less poles why not just use substations?
should the proposal include automatic wiring? is there any reason against asking for that as well?
it might be nice to be able to lay a string of lights for something like making a highway, marking border visually, etc.

timCopwell
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by timCopwell »

darkfrei wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:50 pm
timCopwell wrote:
TL;DR
Try this one:
:arrow: WiredLamps_1.0.0.zip
Cool, that's almost what I meant. But could you fix those please, then I would totally use this:
  • Lamps won't wire if inside of poles range.
  • Lamps can't be connected to each other.
  • Lamps can't be wired to substation, since wire length is anyways less than its range.
  • Ability to cut the wires connected to lamps.
Kyralessa wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:04 pm
If you use mods, here's an option:

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/LightedPolesPlus
It's kinda cheaty to me since it simply cuts one piece of the game out, but ty.
netmand wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:24 pm
hmm. that sounds a bit limited, requiring more work since you need to lay the light then wire it up with copper cable.
with power poles you don't need to carry around copper cable in your inventory; it is automatically wired as a part of the build.
and with power poles you can do long runs easily. without automatic wiring, laying multiple lights would need to be blueprinted as a pattern of lights pre-wired which isn't as flexible (i.e. it couldn't follow curves of any curvature).

if you're just looking to use less poles why not just use substations?
should the proposal include automatic wiring? is there any reason against asking for that as well?
it might be nice to be able to lay a string of lights for something like making a highway, marking border visually, etc.
I tried darkfei's attempt on this mod and I guess, you were right, auto-wiring is better for this one as default since it's simply more convenient way of placing lamps. About substations, I've already told that difference in resource cost and space is too high. Yes, the game is almost infinite on resources and space but still. 8-) :lol:

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

timCopwell wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:50 pm
If that would be possible, then lamps are just a kind of power pole. You could build connections between two networks,

And I doubt this will come into vanilla, even if I like it.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

timCopwell wrote:
Cool, that's almost what I meant. But could you fix those please, then I would totally use this:
  • Lamps won't wire if inside of poles range.
  • Lamps can't be wired to substation, since wire length is anyways less than its range.
  • Ability to cut the wires connected to lamps.
1. Can be done with
https://lua-api.factorio.com/latest/Lua ... ic_network
2. Easy too
3. Automatically if 1. The substation it a electric pole too.
4. Very tricky. If you put the copper cable, then you must click on the hidden pole, but green and red cables must be clicked on the lamp, but not power pole. Other way is: you can click on the both, but you must click very precision.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

timCopwell wrote:
[*] Lamps won't wire if inside of poles range.
[*] Lamps can't be connected to each other.
This two points are done.

WiredLamps_1.0.1.zip
(54.52 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
Attachments
2020-09-04T18_43_16.png
2020-09-04T18_43_16.png (878.66 KiB) Viewed 3476 times

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Update:
- Fixed extra debug spam
- The lamp has two selection boxes, one from hidden lamp

WiredLamps_1.0.2.zip
(54.7 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
Attachments
2020-09-05T10_06_59.png
2020-09-05T10_06_59.png (861.62 KiB) Viewed 3396 times

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Darkfrei, is there a reason, why you don't put it onto mods-portal? :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

ssilk wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:39 am
Darkfrei, is there a reason, why you don't put it onto mods-portal? :)
Today is first release: Wired Lamps 1.0.3
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/WiredLamps

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”