[1.0.0] Force OpenGL setting?

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

DevilXD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[1.0.0] Force OpenGL setting?

Post by DevilXD »

Hello o/

Recently, I've ran into a tiny issue. I had Factorio opened on my main save, with the game currently paused, but then had to go out for couple of hours. I've put the PC to sleep with the game still running, hoping everything will be okay (saved beforehand just in case, thank god).

After coming back and waking the PC up, I've been greeted with this: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... nknown.png

Not being sure which option to pick, I chose "Use OpenGL", Factorio restarted, and everything was seemingly fine, until I realized that I can no longer reliably take screenshots from the game (most likely just an OpenGL issue in itself, doesn't matter much here tho). This is where I realized that I shouldn't have clicked on this OpenGL button in the first place.

Now, I found no option to disable this. I've searched through the in-game graphics settings and found nothing related to the renderer type or OpenGL. After searching a little bit more, and discovering there is a config.ini file somewhere, I was able to change the `force-opengl=true` setting to `false` and comment it out (following how all other options were in the file), to turn this thing back to what it was before.

Could an option to change this setting be added to the in-game graphics settings? I'd imagine it'll be useful to some people looking for it.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [1.0.0] Force OpenGL setting?

Post by ssilk »

Factorio is not well tested for sleep-mode. Not on PC and much less on Mac. I don’t know how it is on Linux, but I guess it’s similar. :)

So instead of giving access to obscure configuration options, which may cause a lot of support, I think it would be much better to make Factorio much more sleep-mode resistant. Because that is in my opinion the reason for that message. Factorio takes resources but when the OS removes them (because of sleep or other stuff) it ignores that or handles it not correct in all cases.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

DevilXD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DevilXD »

I think this is a good idea indeed - however, I find it confusing that there is an option which the game "gives" to the user in a nice message dialog form, that they can enable, but can't disable through any other means than manually editing a config file. I could understand if it'd be something you can only change through manually editing the file, but if the game has UI/UX that lets you enable it, in my opinion there should be similar UI/UX somewhere to disable it as well, hence my bug report / suggestion.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

There is GUI for it.
Ctrl + Alt + Click the settings button > The rest.
:ugeek:

DevilXD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DevilXD »

Looks like some hidden menu to not have to edit the config manually. Undocumented, wasn't even aware of it's existence.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

:shock:
I understand why it is undocumented but I hate those things; at least I would have some visible display that such a mode exists and how to turn it on.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Just take it as an easter egg :lol:
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I take it as bad software design... :mrgreen:

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”