Quality of life UI improvements to train schedules

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

XYZT
Inserter
Inserter

Quality of life UI improvements to train schedules

Post by XYZT »

This is what the current train schedule looks like:
Annotation 2020-07-17 204311.png
Annotation 2020-07-17 204311.png (173.19 KiB) Viewed 1063 times
There are some things that feels like it should be intuitively possible to do but aren't. It would be nice to have the following quality-of-life updates:
  1. Change a stop in-place: It should be possible to click (probably, right-click) on a stop name on the schedule and change to a different station while keeping all settings intact.
  2. Re-arrange schedule via drag and drop: Currently the only way to re-arrange stop order is to delete the schedule and start again. It should be possible to simply drag and drop to re-arrange the schedule.
  3. Copy-Paste settings: It should be possible to copy-paste schedule settings from one station to another. If one stop has a "Empty Cargo Inventory OR 15s passed" setting, it should be possible to Shift+Right-Click to copy it and Shift+Left-Click to paste it onto another stop in the schedule.
All of these are simply quality-of-life suggestions for the UI and don't add any function or mechanic that isn't already part of the game. I feel like train schedules were overlooked during all the quality of life updates we've gotten during 0.17 and 0.18.
Last edited by XYZT on Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Quality of life UI improvements to train schedules

Post by Kyralessa »

I thought you could drag-and-drop. Isn't that what the bumpy-looking part on the right of the train stop header is for?

XYZT
Inserter
Inserter

Post by XYZT »

If it is, that's nice to know. I tried it last night and it didn't work for me. But let me try again and slash that suggestion from the list

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

What’s the difference in copying a schedule to a new stop vs. renaming a stop in-place?
I think there should be only one method to assign a schedule to a stop and I think copying the schedule is simpler to understand and more logical.

And there is already suggestions around that:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28453 Copy/Paste Train Conditions

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32197 train schedule editor

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=78122 Train schedule: Need way to fast replace stop and/or copy+paste criteria

Besides that I want to point to suggestions around train routes, where you define a schedule without train and link that to the trains you want.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”