Add an initially unlocked research

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Boruba
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Add an initially unlocked research

Post by Boruba »

TL;DR
Add a research node that is auto unlocked and all red packs "need" it.

What ?
This research node would be connected to all the others, causing the red pack research to be all part of one tree, not a bunch of separate trees.
This is a rough example of what it would sorta look like.
Why ?
This would be useful for new and returning players. I often have used the tech tree to figure out "what should I do next?" in reference to building a completely new thing on the assembly line, or making sure I had all the stuff that I'd just handcraft in my knowledge and that I had it equipped etc.
The tree is useful because it connects and visualizes the connection between all the techs, while them just being smushed together on the left isn't much of a help for visualization. Also, because of the fact this feature would be aimed at newer players, it would go somewhat unused as a mod, seeing as new players are pretty unlikely to be playing modded off the bat, especially if they're generally "casual" gamers.

Xystem4
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Add an initially unlocked research

Post by Xystem4 »

I did always found it confusing when first starting out how there isn't one overarching tech tree that ties everything together. I don't think there needs to be an actual research tying them all together (at least, not a visible one), because that could also look confusing to new players who might think they've somehow researched something without meaning to.

At the same time, I don't know if all the trees put together would really fit on the screen, it's already pretty confusing to navigate a tech tree as a tree, I find most people do just stick to researching one of the things at the top left.

gghf
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gghf »

The image link is broken. If you're using Imgur for example, make sure you use the direct link that has the .png or some such in it.

Xystem4
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Xystem4 »

gghf wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:30 pm
The image link is broken. If you're using Imgur for example, make sure you use the direct link that has the .png or some such in it.
I can see the image. But I'll tell you what it is, it's just a picture of a red science pack research (it looks like it's actually just military with red scribbled on top, but whatever), with all of the tier 1 research (and maybe some that should have precursors? I'm not sure, OP might've just included them by accident) coming out of it. Basically just the various tech trees connected.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”