Artillery shell should store departure location

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

neamar
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Artillery shell should store departure location

Post by neamar »

tl;dr: if the artillery wagon moves after shooting and before impact, biters should converge to the original location where shell was shot from, not current wagon position.

I have a setup with an artillery wagon patrolling through my outposts to clear biter's nest.
The wait condition is the default "inactivity: 5s".

In the late game, once the last shell is shot, the wagon will wait 5s before moving on to the next station.
However, when the last shell finally hits the nest, all biters will converge to the current train location, not the location from which the shell was shot.

This is not super realistic (we can admit that biters are master of ballistics and can trace the shell back to where it was shot, but locating the wagon is harder!), but most importantly it's really not fun, since now biters will converge on a random rail section and methodically start destroying it -- rather than converge on a defended outpost.

In the late game, this makes for some bad game experience, as you now need to go rebuild some rails in the middle of nowhere -- and the alternative of walling all your rails is not super fun.

Thanks for an amazing game, I haven't invested myself so much in a game ever.

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Artillery shell should store departure location

Post by JimBarracus »

You could simply switch to static artillery.

I think trains are good to claim new territory.
Static artillery with some range upgrades is good for keeping an area clean.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”