Signs & Designated areas

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

waffleface
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Signs & Designated areas

Post by waffleface »

Two ideas that might be nice:

1)
Idea:Let player place editable signs.
Ingame: Common object that only requires wood, but allows player to write text on it. Similar to minecraft - simple but useful feature. Not required for any kind of crafting, just a usability idea.
Effect: Placable sign with text on it for user so he can recognize areas

2)
Idea: Designated areas
Ingame: Place some kind of object that declares everything within X tiles to be a 'smelting' , 'Science', 'manufacturing' or 'storage' area (as an example).
Effect: Objects within that sphere of influence get a bonus or detriment depending on type of area. For example: Player places 'smelter' area object, any furnaces in the area get a speed boost, but anything else (like manufacturers or Labs) get a decrease in speed. Not required, but rewards the minmaxing/efficiency types.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Signs & Designated areas

Post by kovarex »

waffleface wrote: Effect: Objects within that sphere of influence get a bonus or detriment depending on type of area. For example: Player places 'smelter' area object, any furnaces in the area get a speed boost, but anything else (like manufacturers or Labs) get a decrease in speed. Not required, but rewards the minmaxing/efficiency types.
We were discussing something similar to this month ago.
This would add interesting complexity to the game, the player would have to balance boosters and manufactures, it would be also better puzzle to position it good enough.

waffleface
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by waffleface »

Yeah I figured it would have crossed your minds somehow. The idea is that it doesnt handicap the normal player in any way for not using it, but it helps those who like to plan their massive factories.

Edit: Those area boosters should probably also require an electricity network to give it a downside. They're a power draw, but they boost proper facilities in the area.
While we're on it, for more complexity consider something like, the boosters draw power concurrent with the amount of facilities they boost. For example: You place a 'smelter' type booster which draws 0 power by itself, but increases power draw by X for each furnace in its area - the benefit being that each smelter gains the same linear percentage boost.
You could have upgrade/research paths to upgrade boosters (to reduce draw/increase boost%).

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

This "area idea" could also be very useful in multiplayer. E. g. "I make power production, should be placed here, you make iron and copper placed there...", to ensure that the players don't need to cross the space.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

rlerner
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by rlerner »

I'm not very keen on the "building area" idea, due mostly to how I'm not sure of a good implementation of it.

As for the signs, I think that would be very beneficial. I would make extensive use of them.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

The problem with signs is: How to make them usable (big enough to see any text) but not obstructing the view at the same time?

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

kovarex wrote:The problem with signs is: How to make them usable (big enough to see any text) but not obstructing the view at the same time?
Perhaps use flying text that is bound to the alt key so that when you place a sign whenever the alt key is toggled you'd see the flying text?
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

rlerner
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by rlerner »

kovarex - Think Linux Thumbnails for text files.

You can see just a little portion of the text (10 chars or so), but can hover it or click it to read the entire entry. I do get where you're coming from though, Shortening it is all I can think of.

rlerner
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by rlerner »

I know this is a pretty good bump, but I think I may have an idea for this, and people may still have a desire for it.

Currently you can select a region for the construction bots to take down buildings, etc.

What if we used the same selector interface to select a region, and then place a sign in that region (or just place a sign without the selecting)

When the sign is hovered, a box with the transparency kicked up shows up over the selected area (or in the case where the area isn't selected) over the sign:

Would really help with organization.

CherryKiss
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by CherryKiss »

These are some pretty neat ideas! As for the signs...already there are train station name signs on the (M)ap when you look, such signs should be placeable by the player too!

Multiplayer Factorio....sounds so bizarre, and interesting, at the same time :D I wanna play on Malkasphia's team! I can build cars for him to lose! :D

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I like that very much. :)

Perhaps like so: 3 different sizes of "signs" (up to 10x10, 32x32 (1 chunk), 200x200 (radar), and for the text also arrows and other graphical symbols and colors for bg and fg.

Sir Nick
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Sir Nick »

Don't see the need for signs as depicted in OP in singleplayer, can be a bit in multi-coop. Regarding zones with production boost/penalty - isn't it what the beacons should do? Last, zones for MP - may be useful, but I'd prefer a separate overlay for them, the ALT overlay is already cluttered, IMO.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Signs are needed to have names for areas:
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... gns#p11103

Sir Nick
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Sir Nick »

That would be designations, not signs. Or just fixed areas that you can give names to (or that have premade names).

Coolthulhu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Coolthulhu »

kovarex wrote:The problem with signs is: How to make them usable (big enough to see any text) but not obstructing the view at the same time?
Make it a 1x1 building with a tooltip over it. The tooltip would be shortened to title of the sign most of the time, but would expand to entire description when moused over/player toggles "expand sign content" with a key press.

As for the whole area designation with a bonus to production - just integrate it into beacons. Beacons are at the moment rather underdeveloped, often not worth the cost (especially the energy cost).

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”