Redundant elecrtical poles.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

tonberrytoby
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Redundant elecrtical poles.

Post by tonberrytoby »

I really hate it when I move pole a few steps and disconnect half my base while doing that.
Especially when I don't notice that the base is disconnect as it still has a few minutes of batteries left.

I hate it even more if to reconnect them I just have to pick up and set down in the same place an electric pole.

Can't you make those autoconnect if they can, or allow redundant networks.

Also, while at it: How about some sort of power meter that shows the available power , consumed power and stored power on the network.

wrtlprnft
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Redundant elecrtical poles.

Post by wrtlprnft »

tonberrytoby wrote:Can't you make those autoconnect if they can, or allow redundant networks.
You can use copper wire in the same way as you use red/green wire to connect poles to form redundant networks. You lose the copper (you don't get it back when you mine the poles) and it's annoying, but it's possible.

I agree that in can be annoying, but autoconnecting poles would make it even harder to maintain separate power networks, so a solution would need to be a bit smarter. Power statistics would definitely be nice to have.

tonberrytoby
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tonberrytoby »

wrtlprnft wrote:
tonberrytoby wrote:Can't you make those autoconnect if they can, or allow redundant networks.
You can use copper wire in the same way as you use red/green wire to connect poles to form redundant networks. You lose the copper (you don't get it back when you mine the poles) and it's annoying, but it's possible.

I agree that in can be annoying, but autoconnecting poles would make it even harder to maintain separate power networks, so a solution would need to be a bit smarter. Power statistics would definitely be nice to have.
Cool. This game really need better documentation.

wrtlprnft
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wrtlprnft »

Just one quick (probably easily implemented) idea: when you're holding an electric item, areas being covered by poles/substations are highlighted in blue. How about using different colors for each power grid (invent a new color as distinct as possible from existing colors each time a new subnetwork is created, adopt color of bigger network if two networks are merged)?

Arakasi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Arakasi »

And what about connection between all poles in the distance? Currently it seems that there is some tree structure of connection between poles, so if you disconnect some pole, then the whole subtree is disconnected also. If you keep connection between all poles and create some circles it will work better for us.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Arakasi wrote:And what about connection between all poles in the distance? Currently it seems that there is some tree structure of connection between poles, so if you disconnect some pole, then the whole subtree is disconnected also. If you keep connection between all poles and create some circles it will work better for us.
That would not work for me at all.
I need to keep some of the power networks separate, but close to each other.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

MF- wrote: That would not work for me at all.
I need to keep some of the power networks separate, but close to each other.
Yes, there should be way to disconnect poles, or to build pole without automatic connections.

DexterNemrod
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DexterNemrod »

Maybe these poles who don´t have automatic connections could be sseparate build objects which cost 2 copper cables/plates less, to reflect the missing auto-connection

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

DexterNemrod wrote:Maybe these poles who don´t have automatic connections could be sseparate build objects which cost 2 copper cables/plates less, to reflect the missing auto-connection
I support building them separately, with a wire autoplacing option, allowing myself to reclaim the copper wire.
see -> https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ?f=6&t=367

Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dakkanor »

my preference for power poles is to have a grid pattern formed by them, this usually means that after placing the pattern i go through and use wire to fill in the gaps,
a secondary connection check could be uesful for me in this situation(i.e 1st check connects all unconnected grids like usual, but the second checks if up/down/left/right already has a pole directly connected to it, and if not it sees if there are nay poles to connect in that direction and connects to the closest one

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”