Splitting off one side of a belt

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

consumerx54
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Splitting off one side of a belt

Post by consumerx54 »

Many times while playing I often have different items on the two sides of a belt. It would be great if there was a way to split off the items on one side of the belt leaving the other side to continue it's travel. It would be handy to split it off to a single sided belt but it would be ok also to split it off to another double sided belt. In this way if my belt had both copper and iron plate I could split off just the copper plate side and send it to a different location without effecting the iron. I do realize you can use a smart inserter for this but something more seamless would be nice

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Splitting off one side of a belt

Post by Rahjital »

I wish there was an actual, proper way to do this. Using an underground belt that way just feels... wrong to me.

iklarazu
Inserter
Inserter

Post by iklarazu »

You could essentially just not use two different products on one belt.

I only mix and match it if something will use both items, such as copper and gears on the same belt for red science packs.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Rahjital wrote:I wish there was an actual, proper way to do this. Using an underground belt that way just feels... wrong to me.
Same thought here. If something requires a tremendous and ugly workaround that's in no relation to what one is trying to achieve then it's a clear indication of a lacking basic feature.

At least I'm not the guy who puts everything off with just "use a mod". ^^

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

Please for the love of Bob - use Search!

this topic has been brought up many times in the past with significant and through arguments for and against this suggestion, in fact I believe even devs themselves stated already, that current design will remain as it is,

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

MeduSalem wrote:
Rahjital wrote:I wish there was an actual, proper way to do this. Using an underground belt that way just feels... wrong to me.
Same thought here. If something requires a tremendous and ugly workaround that's in no relation to what one is trying to achieve then it's a clear indication of a lacking basic feature.
You can't call a feature basic if the only uses of it are advanced OR fixing design errors.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

MF- wrote:You can't call a feature basic if the only uses of it are advanced OR fixing design errors.
Sorry to say, but who are you to judge that there's no middleground between advanced setups or bad designs, while the later being a subjective feeling of yours in the first place?

Albrat
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Albrat »

I thought the Idea of Factorio was to find ingenius solutions to problems using machines in ways that they were both intended for and ways in which they might not have been inteded to be used...

The underground belt solution is good thinking and using a game mechanic to good effect.

Looking at a real conveyor system... we have a belt system that seperates two lines of items in the real world. We just gaffa taped a wedge to a cross beam above the conveyor. soooo... The underground solution seems more legit than doing that.

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

What is with some green inserters wich only picks the one good, and then splitting it and turn one split back on the original track?

A bit placeconsuming, but works. And it is using things in game even without doing the undergroundtrick.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”