Idea for space production DLC/expansion

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Idea for space production DLC/expansion

Post by cpy »

TL;DR
ZERO-G-ASSEMBLY : unique upgrade modules for buildings that do not have regular module slots.

What ?
We already have upgrade modules and such, but with that never implemented space mechanics there is a golden opportunity to utilize new assembling process. ZERO-G-ASSEMBLY.

You'll be able to build zero-g-assembly TM assembler that could produce things that are not produceable on normal planet. First you need some asteroid material (mineable in space in orbit where you move around with space ship car).

You can then research new science pack (zero-g-science) produced in space and hauled back from space. With that you can research new upgrade slots.
Modules such as roboport range increase, roboport charge rate increase. Unique +1 module slot upgrade or maybe even +100% speed power use module that you can not put into beacon. But you may produce upgrade for beacon that allows it to have 3 module slots!

But beware once you reach space aliens will notice it and start next phase of their evolution bringing more resistant and stronger biters spitters and now flyers! So you hopefully stacked some upgrades before going for a space walk.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Idea for space production DLC/expansion

Post by mmmPI »

When i read this i immediatly thought of the space exploration mod: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/space-exploration

It does not provide with the vanilla interaction described such as roboport range , ugraded beacons and space aliens.

However most of the described mechanism are present:

-Going into space
- building special machine there that can't be build on planet
- there are minable asteroid and stuff in orbits or deep space
- you can move around with a space ship ( once you have enough research, before you can only use rockets, and no shuttle )
- you need many research that can only be done from space.

I think this is a very good idea for a DLC/ expansion and would advise everyone interested to try out the mod. Most of the new things are post-rocket so i would consider it more as an custom expansion than a DLC. However it require launching a new game from start, you can't just add it to your existing map as it transform Nauvis into a finite circle symbolizing one planet amongst other rather than an infinite plan.
cpy wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:54 am
but with that never implemented space mechanics
What, there was such a thing ? i wonder what happened and how close/different from the mod it was envisioned.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Idea for space production DLC/expansion

Post by cpy »

That mod definitely looks cool.

That space gameplay was in one of the FFF but it was long time ago and I don't remember where exactly.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”