Control Passenger Trains from Map Mode

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Control Passenger Trains from Map Mode

Post by 5thHorseman »

TL;DR
The controls to set temporary stations should also work in map mode, whether you are in a train or not.
What ?
Currently, if you want to send a train to a specific location, you must find the train (if you're not already in one), open its map, find the location you want it to go, and create a temporary station there. This is fine (though clunky) if you're already in the train, but can be a pain when you're out in the boonies (but near a track) and just want a ride back home.

I propose 2 additions to the current functionality (which should remain):
  • If you are in a train, allow setting of a temporary stop for that train in map mode.
    This is a no-brainer IMO, and I was actually surprised that it wasn't already in the game.
  • If you are NOT in a train, allow setting a temporary stop in map mode. the game will pick a train and send it to you.
    I don't know the exact method of picking a train because I don't know how trains work internally in Factorio code. Ideally, the train that can get to you the fastest should be sent.
Why ?
When I'm in a train, I want to be able to use the nice big map in Map Mode to find my destination.
When I'm not in a train, I very very frequently just want ANY train to come to pick me up. If I want a specific train, the current functionality is fine.

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Control Passenger Trains from Map Mode

Post by conn11 »

As you can show the train on map via the train GUI, the ability to pick a temporary station right there (or via the map in the GUI) seems reasonable.
For the „pick any train“ suggestion. I‘m not sure, if the effort of implementation is worth it.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

conn11 wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:38 am
For the „pick any train“ suggestion. I‘m not sure, if the effort of implementation is worth it.
Yeah that's why I was vague with the suggestion. Maybe if not in a train, creating a temporary station prompts the user to click on a train in map mode so the choice is up to (and required by) the player, not the game.

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

5thHorseman wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:44 am
Maybe if not in a train, creating a temporary station prompts the user to click on a train in map mode so the choice is up to (and required by) the player, not the game.
This on the other hand would be a improvement in QoL by more conveniently (and quickly) doing passenger transportation.

plepper1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by plepper1 »

I've been using this mod:

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/QoL-TempStations

It provides personal trains which you can summon to you with a hotkey.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”