[UPD] Rail planner is practically broken around your base

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

imTheSupremeOne
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[UPD] Rail planner is practically broken around your base

Post by imTheSupremeOne »

This was a thread suggestion before, but now I believe this is actually a big gameplay issue that just practically breaks your ability to use Rail Planner around your base...

I think that planner should allow you to plan rails over your entities like it's doing with cliffs. As for now, planner declines to work, which is extremely painful if you like to combine building railway and base together.

Let me explain this pain visually:

1) No Shift:
- You can't place rails or ghost but you can at least see how it's going for a limited length

2) Ghosting with Shift:

- You can't build over your entities or ghosts
- You can't even see how it will be going...

It's counterintuitive — as with blueprients you are able to use Shift to see and to force place entities whenever they can fit against your buildings. I think this should be the same with the rail ghosting, so you don't have to remove completely everything to figure out how to place rails...
Last edited by imTheSupremeOne on Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

imTheSupremeOne
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Rail planner is practically broken around your base

Lol, I actually forgot I've crated this topic, and wanted to post this suggestion again ^^;

But yea, if you are building rails on top of your base it's just declines to work — it doesn't even show a ghost of a rail so you could see exactly what entities you need to deconstruct so you need to remove everything... and you scream on the planner: "LLleeT mE plaan lEEET me PLAAAAaan"

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [UPD] Rail planner is practically broken around your base

Post by ssilk »

When I open the subject from “rails” up to “blueprints in general” (both should work similar), these are similar threads:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=88691 Better Blueprint Placement
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=84697 Better UX for placing, removing, and configuring ghost structures
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=80563 mark-for-upgrading when blueprinting over fast-replaceable entities
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47993 Allow Fast Replace using blueprints

And my opinion is still what I said in viewtopic.php?p=509813#p509813

TL;DR: there should be a second overwrite mode for blueprints, which overwrites everything. Instead of shift-key to activate it, it uses control. Or whatever. [And I mentioned there a third mode, which marks anything inside the blueprint-area (rectangle) for deconstruct before placing it. But that mode isn’t relevant here.]
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

imTheSupremeOne
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [UPD] Rail planner is practically broken around your base

ssilk wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:04 am
When I open the subject from “rails” up to “blueprints in general” (both should work similar), these are similar threads:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=88691 Better Blueprint Placement
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=84697 Better UX for placing, removing, and configuring ghost structures
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=80563 mark-for-upgrading when blueprinting over fast-replaceable entities
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47993 Allow Fast Replace using blueprints

And my opinion is still what I said in viewtopic.php?p=509813#p509813

TL;DR: there should be a second overwrite mode for blueprints, which overwrites everything. Instead of shift-key to activate it, it uses control. Or whatever. [And I mentioned there a third mode, which marks anything inside the blueprint-area (rectangle) for deconstruct before placing it. But that mode isn’t relevant here.]
Yes! But with rails it's extra critical because with regular blueprints you always were able to see what goes where and what interferes, but with rails you have to be in "non-ghost mode" only, and in "ghost-mod" it just doesn't show anything making it practically unusable.

I only have found that if you don't have bots network over your building you can mark them for deconstruct, then, over marked entities planner is going to work and allow you to see and even place ghosts, and after you finished you carefully unselect entities from deconstruction, but this does not work when you have roboports around base...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”