Reduce FPS while minimized/inactive?

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ffMathy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Reduce FPS while minimized/inactive?

Post by ffMathy »

Hi there.

I recently started playing, and have now gotten a couple of friends (5 or so) to play as well. We play in multiplayer all the time, but some of us are sometimes idle while chilling around or doing something else. The issue is that the game continues to consume the same processing power even when the game window is not focused, whereas many other games reduce their FPS to 10 or so on purpose, to reduce the power consumed.

I think you should implement that as well here, or make it a setting, so that the game goes into a conservative mode when it's not active or minimized.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Reduce FPS while minimized/inactive?

Post by SHiRKiT »

Since they are not attached anymore, I think they can even disable the screen drawing when the window is not visible (i.e. minimized).

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

SHiRKiT wrote:Since they are not attached anymore, I think they can even disable the screen drawing when the window is not visible (i.e. minimized).
I could see one issue with that: simply minimizing the window and then bringing it back up would cause it to freeze for 10-15 seconds while the view was refreshed similar to how it freezes when you resize it since the entire display needs to be refreshed.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

ffMathy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ffMathy »

Often I need to look at the game while it's inactive (inactive, not minimized). That's because I'm a software developer that loves doing things while I wait for my mates and I (and the factory) to produce stuff if I'm busy. I'd like to see what's going on with the factory, but it doesn't need to be 60 FPS (10 would do, and would increase my productivity elsewhere because of more CPU availability).

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

I got the point.
Some kind of "powersaver / screensaver" mode where you spare power, but still get to see what's happening

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”