Biter Attack Patterns

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

AndrewGeil
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Biter Attack Patterns

Post by AndrewGeil »

Biters attack in a straight line. This makes defending your base very simple. All you have to do is plop down a few turrets in the biters path and your whole base is defended. I propose a change to biter attacks to make it more "random" where the attacks come from.

Biters, when aggravated into attacking by pollution, should start running in a circle with their target (pollution source) as the center and the base they spawned from as a point on the circle. Bear with me, as they circle around the base, they have a percent chance each tile to break from the circling behavior and run straight towards the target. This will make attacks by a base inside your pollution cloud appear random in direction and much more difficult to defend against because they are no longer crazy predictable.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Biter Attack Patterns

Post by ssilk »

I like this running in circles, cause it reminds me to Western films.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

ThaPear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ThaPear »

I like the idea, but it also means that attack are more spread out. This makes more turrets able to fire, resulting in easier defense in the later game.
This idea would make it harder to set up a single defense point, but make it easier to defend once the entire base is encircled.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Yeah if you've ever played a hard mode map you'd know this kind of behaviour isn't that much harder. :p

AndrewGeil
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AndrewGeil »

ThaPear wrote:I like the idea, but it also means that attack are more spread out. This makes more turrets able to fire, resulting in easier defense in the later game.
This idea would make it harder to set up a single defense point, but make it easier to defend once the entire base is encircled.
I don't think I conveyed this correctly to you. When the biters attack, the move as a group in a straight line. I would have them move as a group in a circle and then straight to their target, preserving their swarm attack.

AndrewGeil
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AndrewGeil »

FishSandwich wrote:Yeah if you've ever played a hard mode map you'd know this kind of behaviour isn't that much harder. :p
If you can't draw a straight line from a biter base to yours, how is that not more difficult? I understand when you change your setting to murder-town, completely encircled by massive biter bases, that being attacked from every direction is already happening. Do the majority of players use such biter rich maps? My guess/opinion is no. I don't think this is a time intensive change for the overall improvement to most players game experience.

Zenith
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Zenith »

How about having a biter that can tunnel under your defense. This may lead to a new type of defensive weapon to help protect against it.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

AndrewGeil wrote:
FishSandwich wrote:Yeah if you've ever played a hard mode map you'd know this kind of behaviour isn't that much harder. :p
If you can't draw a straight line from a biter base to yours, how is that not more difficult?
Well it's not more difficult, it just means you have to completely surround your base with turrets/walls sooner than usual. If anything it's more time consuming than difficult.

Having said that, I wasn't saying it's a bad suggestion and shouldn't be implemented(I actually like the idea). I would actually like to see this behaviour implemented(along with many other ideas to change biter behaviour), because anything that forces the player to think more strategically is beneficial to the game.

AndrewGeil
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AndrewGeil »

Zenith wrote:How about having a biter that can tunnel under your defense. This may lead to a new type of defensive weapon to help protect against it.
Or make radar necessary for base defense?

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”