change "red ink" dynamic on mod install screen?

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

change "red ink" dynamic on mod install screen?

Post by golfmiketango »

When a mod's dependencies can't be met in the Mods->Install screen, the background is turned red (or at least that's what I'm assuming it means. To be clear, I approve! However...)

I noticed a quirk when trying to re-enable some mods that I had disabled, while waiting for 0.18-compatible versions to appear.

What happened, specifically, is I had Nexela's 'Picker Blueprinter' mod disabled, along with it's direct dependency, 'Picker Athenium [core]' and indirect dependency, 'Factorio Standard Library'. When I went to re-enable these, even though I enabled all the dependencies, I was getting red ink all over the place. After puzzling over this for a while, I decided the red ink was "wrong" and I would ignore it, hit apply, and the right thing was likely to happen (sure, enough, I did, and everything was indeed fine).

What I think (guess) was happening, was that because those dependent mods were not enabled in the /current/ factorio instance, the dependencies were considered, in some sense, not to be met, and therefore the red ink appeared.

So, hypothetically, maybe the "Should I put red ink here?" question-answerer code was coded as "are all dependencies enabled now?", whereas my expectation was that it would be coded as something more like "would all dependencies be met, in the future, if the currently selected, but not yet applied, gui selections were activated?"

But, to be clear, that's speculation. All I know for sure is, red ink appeared, yet my selections worked fine after pressing apply and restarting the game.

So, either it's a bug, or a semi-misfeature which could become much more useful, if adjusted to work slightly differently (ime).

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: change "red ink" dynamic on mod install screen?

Post by Squelch »

This was introduced recently after I suggested that downloaded, but not yet active mods that are dependencies of other mods needed some form of distinction from other selected mods.

There are now quite a few mods that are interdependent, and some may have already been installed and are active in the current session for another mod. The problem was that it was difficult to distinguish between an already active mod from one that had just been downloaded and selected, or already installed but inactive and again reselected to become active on the next restart.

The situation now is that unsatisfied mods are shown in red text in the mod details pane, and simultaneously in red text in the mod list if they are not currently active. They will display in normal white text if currently active, or grey if inactive otherwise.

Please see the full request Modmanager UI - Distinguish currently active mods from non active.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”