Restore old train running sounds

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

dahhakd
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Restore old train running sounds

Post by dahhakd »

TL;DR
Revert the use of random sound intervals for train movement made in 0.18.

What ?
I've read the changes made to sound effects in 0.18, about the addition of some random variation in timing of some sounds so they don't get too repetitive, but I don't think they should apply to trains. From my experience in real life, the sound trains make when running over tracks, the clack clack.. clack clack, do in fact have constant fixed intervals. I guess because of the way tracks are built, the seams are evenly spaced, and so is the sound when running over them.
Why ?
Because the old sound was much more pleasing/satisfying. I find the added random variation a little jarring and unrealistic.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Restore old train running sounds

Post by Optera »

+1
Impeccable timing. I just updated TrainOverhaul to use the old sounds.

New engine sounds are just pathetic, and the "tie" sound doesn't sound like metal on metal anymore.
Tie sound is a weird name for it btw. It's not the ties making that clack-clack sound but the wheels bouncing over small gaps between rail joints and switches.

Random intervals are somewhat correct for modern high speed rail systems.
While rails have uniform length, joints are usually welded together and polished, removing sound producing gaps. Gaps are only left where it's necessary for thermal expansion and contraction.
Going by the curve radius and rolling stock I would say Factorio is not using a high speed rail system, so we can keep the regular iconic gap sound.

planetmaker
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by planetmaker »

To me the train has a compound sound which actually resembles a modern diesel-electric engine quite well: the "tie" is the actual motor spinning up which you hear quite well when such engine leaves at a station, pitch going up. Overlayed is the characteristic "ta-dum" when the engine passes the joints of tracks.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

I felt the new train sounded more like an eletrical engine like those lawnmover pushed a bit over the max. a bit too high pitch for something that could run you over that easily.

after watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKPDhTCffNw where you see which part makes some of the noise. If you are next to this kind of rail junctions the sound of the gap will be quite periodic, depending on speed of the train and is quite high pitched.

But if you are in the train, you don't hear this sound with the same regularity, because of curves, and junctions, not all segment have same size. And not all segment makes noises, some part of the network are more used than others, so maybe the noise of the motor is what you experience with the most regularity which i would expect to be deeper.

dahhakd
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dahhakd »

I'm no expert in train sounds, I was just speculating on the reason. It's a very subjective thing, but I found the old sound very familiar and pleasing, it reminded me when I used to ride the train here in my city.

I didn't know it could be modded, thanks Optera, in that case I guess I can just restore the old sound myself!

dahhakd
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dahhakd »

I went ahead and created a mod to just restore the old sounds: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/OldTrainSounds

Thanks guys!

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”