Feature Request: Mod update / install at END of play session

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.
MisterFister
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Feature Request: Mod update / install at END of play session

Post by MisterFister »

Hi folks. Small feature request. Same request about mod portal behavior, but 3 basic ideas that I'm convinced are all interrelated, which is why I post them together here as a lump sum.

TLDR:
1) Allow for some form of user opt-out of forced restarts after applying updates or changing / toggling mods inside mod portal GUI. I imagine this would force the UI to display a warning message alerting the user to the fact that opening or entering any game, whether offline / LAN / server is disallowed until a restart is performed. Maybe grey out the relevant game-commence buttons and change the button's label text to indicate that the game software reports "mod changes pending restart" or something.
2) Allow for restarts (manual or automatic) to contextually identify if the only mods pending restart were mods disabled but uninstalled anyway, thus not requiring a new restart until or unless the player then activates that disabled-and-updated mod. (This might be a rare usage case.)
3) Allow mod history tracking, especially for troubleshooting. I.e., allowing mod version rollbacks (especially around the time of a base-game version release, such as now with v0.18) in case the user failing to recall the exact display of mods being updated, etc.

Thanks!!!

~~~ Long version of idea below.

My own play preferences lead for me to prefer to be able to perform small updates (or updates to small-importance mods, either way) at the END of my gaming session. However, installing a new mod, applying updates to enabled or disabled mods, or even toggling an existing mod for activation / deletion, always hard-causes the game to shut down to restart automatically.

With my set of mods, restart can sometimes take a while, sometimes more than a minute or two.

Could we rekerjiger the interface to alert the user that the proposed downloads, if authorized, would require a game restart? If I'm about to log out of the game entirely and close my laptop lid (especially if I'm away from my own living space -- packing up at closing time for a cafe / Starbucks / airport lounge / public library, etc. -- I might not have the luxury of allowing the restart to complete. Thus, I'll either remember after the mod updates download to alt-F4 out of the game instead of selecting "ok," or sometimes I'll forget and I'll alt-F4 when I see the loading progress screen appear. I'm pretty sure that that won't "ruin" the game or my hardware, but I would think that it is still not an ideal protocol to follow.

Maybe have a de-select in the options menu to disallow or opt-out from auto-restarts. Maybe display a warning at time of opt-out that this would prevent loading / beginning / logging in to any game session would be un-selectable (button greyed out and disabled or something) pending a human-initiated restart or shutdown for new start at a later time.

This would also be nice for situations where the game applies a mod update to a mod currently disabled. Since I might work with savefiles or multiplayer servers that depend on a certain mod, a mod where I prefer to go without it during singleplayer, for instance, I'd enjoy the option to simply waive the restart on the understanding that the updated mod cannot be re-activated without a restart. This suggestion might be especially apt, since with a disabled mod, there is required an update to "apply" the update... and usually a second restart to "activate" the mod (it was a real TIL moment when I learned that you could still work from the install / browse tabs inside the mod portal to lump it all into a single restart, and others might not know of this yet either.)

Another edge-case scenario is where I might want to download a mod to have on my system for some future purposes, but I want it to remain disabled for the time being.

Finally, if there were some method of tracking my mod history (downloads, enable / disable history, updates, uninstalls, etc.). It's difficult to perform a rollback on a game breaking mod update when you're forced to manually recall what mods were changed, and when. I can navigate to the Windows folder for the mod zipfiles to examine their timestamps, but overwrites or other troubleshooting steps can easily destroy or reduce that troubleshooting data.

bNarFProfCrazy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Feature Request: Mod update / install at END of play session

Post by bNarFProfCrazy »

I would really like this.
I usually check for updates before I shutdown factorio for the day, so it would be nice, if I could just select "update and exit" instead of "update and restart".

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Feature Request: Mod update / install at END of play session

Post by BlueTemplar »

Yeah, having to forcibly kill the factorio process feels wrong...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”