[Energy] : Alternative power source - Windmills /Windturbine

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Vaupell
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[Energy] : Alternative power source - Windmills /Windturbine

Post by Vaupell »

As a former windmill fitter IRL, i find it lagging the feature of being able to build windmills, to support the non-polluting energy production.

Short facts. to maybe help design them.
I can tell you the latest mills i worked on, was in 2012 and those where 3.5 MW offshore turbines.
The current model being produced and fittet right here where i live are 3.5 MW and 5 MW nacells.

A 3.5Mw offshore windmill take up A LOT of iron to build in real life, the height of the "lower" ones are 90 m to the rotor center.
Most common statistics are (just estimates, some are much more, and few are a little less)

Each tower section weighs around 40-50 metric Tons, 4000-5000 kg. and they are each 30-45 meters long. = total : 100 Tons
Each wing weighs roughly 10 metric tons, and are between 40-60 meters long. It takes 3. total : 30 Tons
The Nacelle (housing) weighs 210 metric tons
The hub weighs 45 tons

So a total of roughly 400 Tons pr windmill. this is all before "fitting", and then it also requires a foundation of some sort.
Then they are also high tech, meaning inside there is a lot of high-tech.

In comparison i don't think they should be cheaper than the solar panels in game,
I suggest

50 - iron
25 - steel
50 - Electronic circuits
10 - Advanced circuits

Would be reasonable to test the balance of the production.

Filtiarn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [Energy] : Alternative power source - Windmills /Windtur

Post by Filtiarn »

The simple wind mill should be cheaper, and give less power/sec and occupy less space while the wind turbine should be more or equal as expensive, occupy less space and give more power. In addition a "wind variable" should be implemented that changes by a set of rules to mimic different type of whether condition. In this case a player may opt to build both solar power plants and wind mills in the hopes of having almost perfect day-night energy coverage with less pollution.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Wind power is suggested often. At the moment this idea https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 64&p=15134 has the most promise.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

not sure it should be THAT expensive, but yeah, it should be at least as expensive as a solar panel.

would be nice to see such things.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”