Tooltip or onscreen text for alternative click modes

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

freighter
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Tooltip or onscreen text for alternative click modes

Post by freighter »

I noticed as I played I had to go back to the controls section of the menu multiple times to remember what the modifier keys (shift, ctrl, alt) did when left or right clicking.
It would be convenient for both new and forgetful players like me if it could be displayed somewhere on the screen what the modifier keys effect is (while holding the key) with maybe context to if you have something in hand or what your mouse is over (the tip doesn't have to be next to the mouse as that is kind of noisy(if text), in building info/on a side/in a corner maybe, configurable option to disable for veterans)

:example: I have nothing in hand, when holding ctrl and floating over a chest or factory it would show
ctrl + left click = Grab all stacks in chest / Grab all crafted items from building
ctrl + right click = Grab half of all stacks in chest / Grab half of crafted items from building

:example: I have a stack ( grabbed from inventory ) of copper wires, when holding ctrl and floating over a chest or factory it would show
ctrl + left click = Insert stack into chest / building
ctrl + right click = Insert half of stack into chest / building
OR
ctrl + left click = Insert stack (200) into chest / factory
ctrl + right click = Insert half (100) into chest / factory

:example: Nothing in hand and holding shift over a factory it would show
shift + right click = to copy building settings
shift + left click = to paste building settings

Something like that

I realized as I was writing this that the multiple languages factor would a lot of work to this request
Maybe Icons instead of text could reduce that

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Tooltip or onscreen text for alternative click modes

Post by valneq »

freighter wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:37 pm
I realized as I was writing this that the multiple languages factor would a lot of work to this request
Not more work than the strings in the new introduction scenario. Many of them contain these control schemes. Which is why the control schemes are already translated anyways. So don't worry about that ;-)

[edit:] forgot to say: +1 for the actual suggestion – maybe add a delay so the suggestions don't pop up all the time even when I know exactly what I want to do :-P[/edit]

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”