Add the old tutorial back

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

JamesC01
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Add the old tutorial back

Post by JamesC01 »

TL;DR: I think the old tutorial should be added back, alongside the new one, since it goes into more detail and is a nicer introduction, in my opinion.

I just bought factorio. Before that, I played demo 0.16.51, and really enjoyed the tutorial. I really liked that it told you everything in detail, without leaving you with questions and frustration. I just started playing the new tutorial, and I have to be honest, I don't think it's great for new players (I'd consider myself fairly new, since I've only played the original demo tutorials.)

The original tutorial explains things clearly, and doesn't leave you struggling, which personally, I like. I know some people like to figure everything out by themselves, but I personally just get frustrated when I can't figure out how to do something, and the new tutorial does just that, it left me stuck on some parts, and even when the robot gives you more info, it's still not very detailed. I won't really go into detail, since basically everything I've seen so far in the new tutorial isn't introduced as nicely as the original.

I think the old tutorial should be put back in the game, maybe alongside the new one as an extra tutorial, since it gives more detail. Or maybe tweak the newer tutorial, but I still feel the original would be better. I wouldn't have wanted my first experience with factorio to be frustration because I couldn't figure out how to do something, that's the type of thing that would push me away from buying the game.

Also, please don't take this as an attack. When I posted feedback on new tutorials that I didn't like (for runescape) when I was new, I just got a bunch of angry responses from users telling me I'm whining and that I'm wrong. It's not meant to be an attack on the work that you do, I just personally think it's a bit frustrating to play, and wouldn't want others feeling the same way.

I think the original tutorial was quite perfect at what it did.

edit: I forgot to mention that I haven't beaten the tutorial yet, so my experience is only up until when you have to provide copper plates and gears, since I sort of quit out of frustration because I couldn't figure out the gear machine. But I still think my point stands. The tutorial could be amazing near the end, but if the start is frustrating, people may leave before.

Edit: I've played a bit more of the tutorial, and I like the mini tutorials, they're quite nice. After playing a bit more, I really think adding the original tutorial back would be better, and then follow up with the new tutorial, since the original is a lot more basic, while the new seems more stretched out, which is more appropriate to play after the basic intro of the original.

regress
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Add the old tutorial back

Post by regress »

I came here to post something very similar to this.

I have roughly 1700 hours now and have been trying to convince my brother to try the game and I finally got him to load the demo. The issue is when I started, I played the fun 16.x something campaign / tutorial and was hooked. Even the slightly silly plastic plane ending where every time I start freeplay I imagine starting by going down in the plane. It was minimal but it was plot.

I want to emphasize my concern: THERE WERE TRAINS IN THE DEMO I PLAYED. THERE ARE NO TRAINS NOW. HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO SELL MY BROTHER ON A TRAIN GAME THAT HAPPENS TO CONTAIN AUTOMATION ELEMENTS WHEN THE DEMO HAS NO TRAINS?? :P

Obviously youtube videos etc and thankfully the 16.51 demo is still there for download but not via steam. But nothing beats the first time you automate a rail system. Fluids I could take or leave but I would humbly request that trains be added back into the demo in some capacity or another or just add back the 2nd and 3rd levels. It's literally putting the games best foot forward.

Thank you for your time.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Add the old tutorial back

Post by ssilk »

regress wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:03 am
I want to emphasize my concern: THERE WERE TRAINS IN THE DEMO I PLAYED. THERE ARE NO TRAINS NOW. HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO SELL MY BROTHER ON A TRAIN GAME THAT HAPPENS TO CONTAIN AUTOMATION ELEMENTS WHEN THE DEMO HAS NO TRAINS?? :P
Despite from shouting: I have similar feelings. But hope: Learning curve for trains is steep (so there is a chance that they left it out yet) and it's not the final version...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”