Make right click to craft 10 instead of 5

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Mihle
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Make right click to craft 10 instead of 5

Post by Mihle »

When you right click to craft, you craft 5. Why isn't it 10?

Clicking 5 is too slow to 1, so if you are going to craft 5 you can just click 5 times. But 10 is a nicer number and more logical to me. if you for example are going to craft 50 of something, you can just press it 5 times instead of 10.

Also, all other games that have a single button to so a thing multiple times(for example craft), have it as 10, (or sometimes 100 or whatever a full stack is), so why is factorio 5? Is it just to be different? To players that play lots of games it's confusing, at least it was to me.

If you don't want to change the default from 5 because factorio players is used to it or some reason or dont like it, why not add an option in the settings to change it to 10?

It would improve the early ish game a lot in my opinion.
Last edited by Mihle on Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Make right click to craft 10 instead of 5

Post by valneq »

I kind of like the fact that right clicking crafts 5. If you need much more than 8 of any given item, and have to handcraft it all, you get annoyed very quickly. This incentivizes the automation of its production. Factorio is a game about automation, after all.

I am well aware that some mods change the amounts of items that you need to handcraft. But should the base game really adapt to some crazy mods?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Factorio is about automation: you should normally not need to produce more items of one sort by hand.
You can use shift to produce as much as possible.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

ssilk wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:14 pm
Factorio is about automation: you should normally not need to produce more items of one sort by hand.
There is a sweet spot between "playing is a chore until you automate" and "it is so convenient to do things manually that why even automate ?".
Where the game should be between those two extremes is always debatable, and can help the beginning phase of the games. For those who spend 100s of hours on the same map, it's useless. For those who keep on repeating the early part of the game and have to go through the "I do some things manually" again and again, convenience could be a plus (as long as it doesn't make manual crafting too convenient).

I would gladly see a little more QoL for early game part, as I seem stuck to this part.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Mihle
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Mihle »

ssilk wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:14 pm
valneq wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:24 pm
I kind of like the fact that right clicking crafts 5. If you need much more than 8 of any given item, and have to handcraft it all, you get annoyed very quickly. This incentivizes the automation of its production. Factorio is a game about automation, after all.

I am well aware that some mods change the amounts of items that you need to handcraft. But should the base game really adapt to some crazy mods?
Do you automate the production of power poles as soon as you can make them? Or do you automate the production of yellow belts as the first thing after you get an assembler? I personally haven't, I build quite a bit of other stuff first... It's more of an early-ish game thing that a late game thing.

Also, if you need 8 of something regularly, why not make 10 and store the ones you don't need for the next time?

Shift click usually makes much more than you need....

The time it takes to craft something should be the incentive to automate something, not how many times you have to click on the same button.

As I said, it could be just added as a settings in the settings menu or whatever?

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Mihle wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:40 pm
Do you automate the production of power poles as soon as you can make them? Or do you automate the production of yellow belts as the first thing after you get an assembler?
Yes! Of course. Just a couple of wooden chests, and a couple of inserters and assembling machines, and off go :-)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Mihle wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:40 pm

Do you automate the production of power poles as soon as you can make them?
No, normally not. I try to get enough wood and copper for 50 poles or so then shift-click poles and while that crafts I do other things.
Or do you automate the production of yellow belts as the first thing after you get an assembler? I personally haven't, I build quite a bit of other stuff first... It's more of an early-ish game thing that a late game thing.
Yes, of course, cause you need so much of them and you need it for green potion.

And I try to build the things I need in the right moment, when I just have enough so that I can use shift-click. It’s the flow you get into when you need to think forward: what do I need in 2 minutes when I’m finished with this.

Essential game play.
Also, if you need 8 of something regularly, why not make 10 and store the ones you don't need for the next time?
Because especially in the beginning when I need 8 I produce 8. If you play hard levels, you need to be exact or the biters come. ;)
Shift click usually makes much more than you need....
I won’t say you do something wrong, more like: you should try to play Factorio with different settings, different targets...
The time it takes to craft something should be the incentive to automate something, not how many times you have to click on the same button.
This depends strongly on how fast you are with clicking. :) A production for belts should take not longer than 10 or maximum 20 seconds: 2 assemblies, 2 boxes, 3 inserters, poles. It depends more on how good you have prepared to build it.
Versus clicking 50 belts, which takes 5 clicks (1 recipe produces two belts).

So I still don’t understand the need for this. :)

Mihle
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Mihle »

ssilk wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:58 am
Yes, of course, cause you need so much of them and you need it for green potion.
I mean in the time when you use belts but before you set up green science...
And I try to build the things I need in the right moment, when I just have enough so that I can use shift-click. It’s the flow you get into when you need to think forward: what do I need in 2 minutes when I’m finished with this.

Essential game play.
Me like many people just put a few stacks of different plates and steel or whatever in the inventory (how many do vary) so you know you have enough for whatever you are going to build next and then fill up when its get low (exception is if you are mass hand crafting something tho, but how often does that happen...) If you then just use shift click you get way to many of something....
Because especially in the beginning when I need 8 I produce 8. If you play hard levels, you need to be exact or the biters come. ;)
I dont and most people dont.
I won’t say you do something wrong, more like: you should try to play Factorio with different settings, different targets...

This depends strongly on how fast you are with clicking. :) A production for belts should take not longer than 10 or maximum 20 seconds: 2 assemblies, 2 boxes, 3 inserters, poles. It depends more on how good you have prepared to build it.
Versus clicking 50 belts, which takes 5 clicks (1 recipe produces two belts).

So I still don’t understand the need for this. :)
Because 10 is a more logical number, and of games that have a button for craft a number of things with one click, its always 10, 100 or whatever a full stack is. factorio is the only game that does 5 a the time that I have ever seen, thats really what irritates me the most, that its different from other games without it really being a reason for it.

As I said, If developers are afraid because some like 5 for whatever reason, why not just add it as a setting so user can choose themselves?
Last edited by Mihle on Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mihle
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Mihle »

Another thing, anyone know about a mod that does change it?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Sorry for the teacher-mode of how to play Factorio....
Mihle wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:55 am
What I tried to say is: There is no reason not to automate belt-production ASAP. You craft two wooden chests, three inserters, two assemblies. Place the assemblies so, that one chest can feed both assemblies. The wheels from assembly 1 go into assembly 2 to craft belts, which are inserted into the second chest. There is nearly no thinking about it and this provisoric setup lasts until you are able to built a first main-bus.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

ssilk wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:00 am
Sorry for the teacher-mode of how to play Factorio....
Mihle wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:55 am
What I tried to say is: There is no reason not to automate belt-production ASAP. You craft two wooden chests, three inserters, two assemblies. Place the assemblies so, that one chest can feed both assemblies. The wheels from assembly 1 go into assembly 2 to craft belts, which are inserted into the second chest. There is nearly no thinking about it and this provisoric setup lasts until you are able to built a first main-bus.
Yeah it works. Hand crafting works too. The fact that you don't understand in what it would make the game better doesn't mean it doesn't.
People tell you it would make the game better for them, while not making it worse for the others. Why refrain then ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

In addition to the previous post:
For me the core of this suggestion is the difference between clicking 5 times (25 recipes, 50 belts) or 3 times (30 recipes, 60 belts). How long does this difference of two clicks take? How much more iron do you need to produce 10 more that you currently don’t need and how long does it take to wait for that? And some more variables...

I think if we take all that into account there is a “sweet spot” around 4-8 recipes per right click. The suggestion to make that configurable is - seen in this way - not bad. It’s just so, that - by experience - an extra configuration option will raise the need for other more or less strange configurations.

So the way to implement this is in my eyes a mod.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

I want to add two thoughts to this discussion:

1. Crafting 10 items with rightclick instead of 5 would make it easier to craft a whole bunch of items by hand. 5 Items makes it way easier to craft odd amounts of items. If you want to craft 5-9 items you have to click four times fewer if you can craft 5 items at once and not 10. I think precision is more important than larger amounts.

2. This is maybe a bit silly, but for me 5 makes absolutely sence. I use my index finger for leftclick (craft one item) and you normally use it to point out a single thing. For rightclick (craft five items) I use the middle finger which feels like using the rest of the hand. I think that perfectly represents crafting "a handful" of items.

But don't get me wrong: I think the best solution is making it an option (default 5).
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by netmand »

There's a big difference between crafting 5 at a time and one at a time that asking for 5 to be 10 doesn't seem to appreciate:

If I handcraft 5 of a recipe; that requires me to handcraft the supporting items first, then the final items are built. This is a big difference when compared to building the same item one at a time five times... you get the first item quicker crafting them one at a time because you're not building all of the five supporting items before building the first of the five at the end of the process of crafting five at a time.

In the early game I handcraft one at a time so that I'm feeding my lab quicker, placing my inserter quicker, putting down my turret quicker.

This is just my experience. I don't find moving from 5 to 10 particularly appealing. To be honest if there were a change to be had I'd choose 6.

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Honktown »

I was thinking about trying to make a mod with a number box, to [enter] how many [right click makes]. It could be anchored to the bottom part of the inventory, under where requests usually go. If someone else wants to do it, go ahead, I've got other stuff I'm thinking about first.

Edits to make it a little clearer. There might be events you can intercept to change what happens when a player crafts, I know there's some idle-crafting type mods
I have mods! I guess!
Link

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”