Paused Game Chews CPU

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

gallomimia
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Paused Game Chews CPU

Post by gallomimia »

This is a hybrid between a suggestion and a bug report. It's my opinion that it's a bug that when the game is completely paused and in the background it absolutely gobbles up CPU resources, as if it were running full speed. Even when the game is paused with shift-space, the grid pops up, then I alt-tab into say, a browser to view a video, or this forum to make a post, or any other program, it continues to hog resources. It's currently between 185 and 190% of a single core on my CPU (an FX8350) and the chip is exceeding 50C, with the fan reaming into jet engine level of sound. Load Averages are 3.89 to 4.5 on an 8 core... it's pretty bad. Understandable when the game is running a simulation of a pretty big factory, but.... it's completely idle. (Ubuntu 19.04 with kernel 5.0.0-32 and nVidia drivers 430.50)

I'm sorry that you have set the bar of my expectations so high. Your program is otherwise a very good compute-citizen, actually blowing the standards of other non-game programs out of the water. Triple platform compatibility is a dream, and your idea of "stable" versus "unstable" is on another level entirely from every other game on the market. Being mindful of multiple displays is something which is just not done these days, and playing nice with the rest of the system is usually unheard of, but here is this gem of a program showing everyone how it's done.

Thus it is my humble suggestion that a developer find some time to make the game loop stop hammering out updates of nothing while paused, and still not affect the unpaused performance, before 1.0 ships. This should help plenty of players, especially those on laptops.

Much apologies if this has already been suggested (demanded) or talked about in other threads, but I just couldn't think of what terms to search.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Paused Game Chews CPU

Post by ssilk »

Ah, that wonders me also, when I stop Factorio and close the laptop, that it is still working and the battery is dry next morning. I always thought it's just a Mac-problem.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Can you provide a log file?

It could be that the game is running in software rendering mode

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

Same for me on a Mac

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

brunzenstein wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:58 am
Same for me on a Mac
Log file?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Klonan wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:53 am
Can you provide a log file?

It could be that the game is running in software rendering mode
See Attachement. Around second 170-185 I paused the game and closed the labtop.

BTW: I found millions of log-entries like "Script @__stdlib__/stdlib/area/chunk.lua:38: WARNING: Area for Position not found in package.loaded",
comes from empty call of load_area() ... https://github.com/Afforess/Factorio-St ... /chunk.lua

Does anybody know, what causes that?
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(165.55 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”